[Solved - 1.52] Cursor Registration

Report your issues here

[Solved - 1.52] Cursor Registration

Postby kamakalama » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:39 am

Is there a way to sync alignment of the cursors? My remote cursor displays approx. 5-6 pixels different than the ipad cursor.

Thx
Jeff
kamakalama

Re: Cursor Registration

Postby raf » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes. Remoter is not processing the cursor hot coordinates at the moment.
I'll work to get this in for the next release.
Thanks for the feedback!

Raf
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:08 pm

I spent some time today adding the support required for this to work correctly.
It was really evident specially when using a Mac as the server.
I'm going to re-submit 1.51 to Apple with this fix in, as it's important enough. But this might delay the release a couple of days.

Thanks again for the feedback!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby mawheatley » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Whatever happened in the Oct 18 release has made this almost unusable. It used to be great, but now I position the cursor using the virtual mousepad, then tap it once to make a click, and the cursor jumps up and left far enough to completely miss the link! Double clicking is impossible - it just moves too far to be registered as a double click. I'm using UltraVNC on Windows. This app used to be great but has been really spoiled by this update. I wish there was a way to roll back.
mawheatley

Postby kamakalama » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:56 am

>> the cursor jumps up and left far enough to completely miss the link!

I'm also observing this issue. Registration of local vs remote cursor is good until you tap-click the virtual trackpad. The remote cursor then jumps & often misses the link.

Jeff
kamakalama

Postby mawheatley » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:08 am

This started happening with the previous update although it was only a couple of pixels - I could live with that. Now it's a whole cursor length! It's almost like with each click it puts the tail of the cursor where the head should be, and registers the click at the new head location. PLEASE roll it back to how it was 2 versions ago, before it started keeping the ipad cursor where the PC cursor was. It was perfect then. (Or provide us with a method to install an older version.) Thank you.
mawheatley

Postby raf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into this issue ASAP. -- Please don't leave 1 star reviews, that really doesn't help. I'll submit an update as soon possible, hopefully today.

Thanks!

Update: I just placed a request with Apple to revert to version 1.5 until this is corrected. I'll keep you informed.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:25 pm

Still waiting for Apple to respond to my request.
I now understand exactly what the problem is and will be submitting an updated version today.

In the mean time, I thought I would give you some background on what happened (please note that this is a somewhat simplified explanation):

-Remoter used to use it's own cursor image, remote location was not used either, only local. The center of the cursor image matched the tip of the cursor, and this was used to compute the cursor location for movement and when clicking.
-Then remote cursor image support was added (Remoter V1.5), along with remote cursor location handling. These are great features, as now the actual cursor the remote server wants to display is displayed, and also in the correct place. So the cursor can change from an arrow, to a text entry cursor, to a drag-cursor, etc.
Along with the cursor image, the cursor hotspot is also provided by the server. But in this initial version, the hotspot was ignored, as the hotspot usually matches the center of the image, and that's what remoter was doing anyway. But as some users were quick to notice, this is especially not true when the server is a Mac, and the location of the cursor on the computer didn't match the location on the iPad.
-A new version of Remoter was released (1.51 -- yesterday's release) that included cursor hotspot support. Now the cursor displayed in Remoter matches the remote cursor location every time.

Here's where the problem happened. While the code was correctly updated to support the cursor hotspot for when the user taps-down on the screen, the user taps-up on the screen, the user-drags on the screen, the user moves on the virtual keypad, I failed to to update two key pieces of code. And really didn't notice, or anybody else trying the 1.51 beta for that matter!: When the user taps-down and when the user taps-up on the virtual trackpad. So while you move the cursor around on the trackpad, everything is fine, and you can see remote elements on the screen highlight correctly as the cursor hovers, as soon as you want to "click", the location for the top-left of the remote cursor image is used instead of the hotspot location!

Raf
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:00 am

1.52 has been submitted to Apple for review. I won't tag this as solved until it's out and we all agree this is now fixed.

Thanks!,

Raf.

Update: Now that 1.52 is in the App Store, I flagged this thread as solved. Thanks!
raf
Site Admin

Re: [Solved - 1.52] Cursor Registration

Postby mawheatley » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:56 pm

This is working a whole lot better now - thank you very much for fixing it.

It still acts a little jumpy - like the cursor moves left and up occasionally, but it's usually after a double click so it doesn't interfere with what I'm doing. I just have to remember to keep a closer eye on the screen! I can certainly live with that though - you've made this app the best one out there again! Thank you.
mawheatley

Next

Return to Support