Wake On LAN needs five presses.

Report your issues here

Wake On LAN needs five presses.

Postby TRWap123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:30 pm

From my limited knowledge, the WOL special package needs to be sent five times. Certainly when programming WOL messages in my software I have to send five times in order to wake up DELL computers/ servers.

It seems that pressing the power symbol button in Remoter, sends only one:- If I do repeatedly press it five times, it successfully wakes up the computer, but not if I only press it once. Is this by design?

Thankyou for the excellent software!
TRWap123

Re: Wake On LAN needs five presses.

Postby raf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:26 pm

Indeed, Remoter only sends the WoL package once. This is the first I hear the package should be sent five times. In my testing, the one package has always been sufficient, but I don't see how sending it 5 times would hurt, so I'll go ahead and create a ticket for this, and will shoot for having it fixed in 2.01.

Thanks!,

Raf.

Edit: trac ticket #70 now tracks this issue (trac.rafsoftware.com)
raf
Site Admin

Postby brickneil » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04 pm

I am able to have WOL only if I am on WiFi but not on 3G when I am on internet, outside local WIFI: why ?
brickneil

Postby raf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:31 pm

To use WoL from the internet, you need to follow some special steps. Check out the FAQ (http://rafsoftware.com/rafsoftware/home/?page_id=794)
raf
Site Admin

Postby brickneil » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:56 pm

I have seen that link but my router doesn't accept that ip (192.168.0.255 or 192.168.1.255).

Anyway I send you attached an image with my router settings.
Attachments
DLink.jpg
DLink.jpg (143.12 KiB) Viewed 10074 times
brickneil

Postby raf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:09 pm

Your router doesn't let you enter 192.168.1.255 as the destination (private) IP address in the port forward? You can also change protocol type from all, just to UDP (but all SHOULD work)..

Did you change the broadcast IP in Remoter to your external(public) internet IP address?
raf
Site Admin

Postby brickneil » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:47 am

No, I can portforward only on IP of my PC 192.168.1.7.
The strange thing is that I can WOL from wifi on iPhone although on external IP given to freeSSHd as secure server and internal IP given to VNC.
brickneil

Postby raf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:26 am

brickneil wrote:No, I can portforward only on IP of my PC 192.168.1.7.
The strange thing is that I can WOL from wifi on iPhone although on external IP given to freeSSHd as secure server and internal IP given to VNC.

WoL doesn't use any of those fields to generate and send the magic packet. Only the fields "MAC Address" and "Broadcast IP" are used for WoL.

Doing a search for your router I came across this thread: http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rmd%3Divns in an Italian forum (I used google translate to skim throught it). There is a link in the last post to an FTP with the latest versions of the firmware for your Router. You might give that a try, specially seeing you're running version 1.05, and the latest seems to be 2.12.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby brickneil » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 pm

I have updated firmware of my router (many thanks !) but the strange thing remains: my router wakes up from internet on the external IP only if my iPhone is on wifi.
I remember you that I use the secure server freeSSHd on side of internet and VNC on local to whom I can well connect from internet and locally.

But I have tried with another remote client, an rdp client (Mocha Rdp) witch is quite able to wake up my PC from internet, consequentially the problem is not on my router.

By the way I suggest you to embed secure feature of SSH protocol inside your product (like iTeleport Jaadu) for VNC and to pass also to Rdp (with audio and encryption enabled) so to complete the ways for communicating by remote.

Thanks
brickneil

Postby raf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:18 pm

brickneil wrote:I have updated firmware of my router (many thanks !) but the strange thing remains: my router wakes up from internet on the external IP only if my iPhone is on wifi.
I remember you that I use the secure server freeSSHd on side of internet and VNC on local to whom I can well connect from internet and locally.

But I have tried with another remote client, an rdp client (Mocha Rdp) witch is quite able to wake up my PC from internet, consequentially the problem is not on my router.

Then the only thing that could be the problem has to be the MAC address / Broadcast IP. When connecting from inside your WiFi, broadcast IP should be set to 255.255.255.255, but when connecting from the internet, this field needs to be set to your public IP address.

By the way I suggest you to embed secure feature of SSH protocol inside your product (like iTeleport Jaadu) for VNC and to pass also to Rdp (with audio and encryption enabled) so to complete the ways for communicating by remote.

I'm not following you here. Remoter does integrate SSH. RDP support will be added a future release as an in-app-purchase (unless you got the Complete, then it will be free).

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support