problem activating icons on desktop

Report your issues here

problem activating icons on desktop

Postby icdfreelance » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 am

Connecting to the desktop of my Win 7 machine works fine on the iPad. The problem I am having is doing anything with the desktop. I see the mouse button indicators and the keyboard but when I use the double click mouse nothing happens on the desktop. Evidently I have something set improperly. Have reviewed the config but do not see anything out of line. Sequence is tap the double click mouse then the item on the desktop and that is as far as things go. The arrow indicator does show up and appears over the item but nothing happens.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
icdfreelance

Re: problem activating icons on desktop

Postby raf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Please make sure your VNC server is not setup in "listen-only-mode".
On UltraVNC it's called "Disable Local inputs". See the video guide here: http://rafsoftware.com/rafsoftware/home/?page_id=796

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby icdfreelance » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Under the category of Keyboard & Mouse I have nothing selected.

On Multi viewer connections I have "Keep existing connectors".

I have selections under Misc of Remove Aero, Remove Wallpaper, Enable Blank Monitor on viewer request.

I have selections by Enable Java, Accept Sockets, File Transfer and User impersonation.

That is all I have selected. Hope that helps narrow it down.
icdfreelance

Postby raf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm

icdfreelance wrote:Thanks for the reply. Under the category of Keyboard & Mouse I have nothing selected.

On Multi viewer connections I have "Keep existing connectors".

I have selections under Misc of Remove Aero, Remove Wallpaper, Enable Blank Monitor on viewer request.

I have selections by Enable Java, Accept Sockets, File Transfer and User impersonation.

That is all I have selected. Hope that helps narrow it down.

You mention double-clicking is not working for you. Is any other form of input working? Can you open for instance a text editor on your windows machine, and type from Remoter? Or click a link on a webpage with Remoter?

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby icdfreelance » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:47 pm

When I open a text editor on my desk top I can type from Remoter onto the desktop then watch momentarily as it appears on the iPad.

When I attempt to open a browser window I cannot. I also cannot open the text editor from Remoter.
icdfreelance

Postby raf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

This is a very strange behavior. So you're saying keyboard input works, but mouse input doesn't. Did you try clicking on a link from Remoter? I wonder if the only problem you're seeing is related to double-clicking or not.
Could you try re-installing UltraVNC? Also, make sure you're using UltraVNC 1.0.8.2.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby icdfreelance » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:50 pm

I was running 1.0.8.2 but I did the re-install just to see. During the install got a brief error message that something could not be completed as a folder did not exist. It went past before I got a note.

Anyway, about where I was before except did get some reaction to a mouse input by identifying an action but nothing occurred. Later will try the re-install again and attempt to catch that elusive message.

I use a two monitors on my main setup. Is that a potential problem and/or should I make adjustment of any kind. I did not have that monitor active from the desktop at the time of my attempts. It was taking a feed from another source but the appearance of the mouse on the desktop when diconnecting Remoter came for the direction of the second monitor. The two desktops reflected on the two monitors are not the same but in direct use is not a problem. Could it be here?
icdfreelance

Postby raf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 pm

Remoter 1.81 does not support dual monitor setups. Could you try unplugging one of the two monitors just to see if this is what's causing the problem?

In my tests, I've been able to use Remoter on a dual monitor setup with UltraVNC and it worked fine, but another user also reported a problem.

Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby icdfreelance » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Once I completed the setup for one monitor everything works fine. Mouse works, I can open folders, applications, browser even watch website with flash.

Wish I had thought of that earlier as it would have saved us both a lot of work and others from reading a lot of comments. Your products looks very good and the install to connect was easy in my case. Thanks again for your help.
icdfreelance

Postby raf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:29 pm

icdfreelance wrote:Once I completed the setup for one monitor everything works fine. Mouse works, I can open folders, applications, browser even watch website with flash.

Wish I had thought of that earlier as it would have saved us both a lot of work and others from reading a lot of comments. Your products looks very good and the install to connect was easy in my case. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for letting me know you were able to resolve the problem. So what did you end up doing exactly to have it work on your setup? Did you have to disconnect the second monitor?

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support