Can't seem to connect, please help!

Report your issues here

Can't seem to connect, please help!

Postby cobrajmkinc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:27 am

I have downloaded Ultra VNC and configured as shown. I configured the app as shown as well. I am using clear wireless as my internet, and I forwarded my port 5900 and opened my firewall. Nothing seems to work, I keep getting: Disconnected VNC connection failed: authentication failure.

What is it that I am doing wrong? I checked ipchicken for my ip address and entered it correctly. I set up my password through VNC correctly as well. Please help me.
cobrajmkinc

Re: Can't seem to connect, please help!

Postby raf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Authentication failure means the password you entered when setting up UltraVNC is not the same as what you entered into Remoter.
Please follow the guide here: http://rafsoftware.com/rafsoftware/home/?page_id=796

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby cobrajmkinc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 pm

I already set up the password. Everytime I put in the password I hit apply, and then I hit ok. I put the exact same password in my app, but get the same message. So what can I do?
cobrajmkinc

Postby raf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Are you using UltraVNC's MSLogon? If so, the password you need to enter in Remoter is the USER password, and you also need to specify the user in Remoter.
If you're not using MSLogon, then try rebooting your Windows box to make sure the changes are getting applied. You can also try creating a new session on Remoter, just to make sure you're entering the password correctly.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby cobrajmkinc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Ok, I tried to connect without any vnc running on my home system, and I am still getting the same message. Is there a problem for this app on Iphone 4? Because it isn't connecting at all. It is telling me that the authentication failed, but how can that fail if the vnc isn't even running on my system. That tells me there is a bug in the app. What do I do now?
cobrajmkinc

Postby raf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 pm

No, there is no bug between Remoter and an iPhone 4. I use it on my iPhone 4 all the time. I personally also test it on an iPad, an iPhone 3GS and a first gen iPhone. There is a team of beta testers that also test it on iPhone 3G and iPod Touch. Plus it's used by thousands of people on all combinations of devices, and operating systems.
I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems connecting. But be assured, the problem you're having is not Remoter.

If you're still getting an authentication error, but there is no VNC server running, and you're attempting a connection from the internet, then I'm going to have to say, that maybe the hostname you entered into Remoter is pointing to someone else's system, and they have a VNC server running.

-Have you tried connecting to your home system, while your iPhone is connected to your home wifi?

-Did you set up a dyndns account to get to your home network from the internet, or are you using your IP address? Does your provider give you a static IP address?

Please double check the hostname field in Remoter. We can definitely solve this problem, I just need more info to continue helping you.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby ipaduser » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm

I am experiencing the same issue. Running Remoter on a up to date iPad and trying to connect to UltraVNC version 1.0.8.2 installed on Windows 7. I've tried simple and complex passwords. Rebooted the pc after changing password. Even installed UltraVNC on another pc and had no trouble viewing Windows 7 pc desktop. Rebooted iPad. Cannot view either pc from iPad.

First attempt @ viewing 2nd pc from iPad said no password was configured which blocked viewing desktop. Same message from Windows 7 pc. I then set password on 2nd pc and was able to view from Windows 7 pc. Still cannot view from iPad. Every time I try using iPad, it says Disconnected, VNC authentication failed.

Please feel free to contact me if more information is needed.
ipaduser

Postby ipaduser » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

After further testing, I determined that Remoter has trouble connecting when on a different subnet. The test windows 7 ps is connected via ethernet cable with IP 192.168.25.62. The iPad is connected via wifi with IP 192.168.15.54. When I moved the Windows 7 pc to the wifi network, the ipad could view the pc.

Keep in mind that I could view the 2nd pc (wired connection) from windows 7 pc on wifi and could view windows 7 pc from 2nd pc while on different subnets so it's not firewall/router related.

ipaduser wrote:I am experiencing the same issue. Running Remoter on a up to date iPad and trying to connect to UltraVNC version 1.0.8.2 installed on Windows 7. I've tried simple and complex passwords. Rebooted the pc after changing password. Even installed UltraVNC on another pc and had no trouble viewing Windows 7 pc desktop. Rebooted iPad. Cannot view either pc from iPad.

First attempt @ viewing 2nd pc from iPad said no password was configured which blocked viewing desktop. Same message from Windows 7 pc. I then set password on 2nd pc and was able to view from Windows 7 pc. Still cannot view from iPad. Every time I try using iPad, it says Disconnected, VNC authentication failed.

Please feel free to contact me if more information is needed.
ipaduser

Return to Support