Can't connect from the Internet

Report your issues here

Can't connect from the Internet

Postby Hakoda » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:08 pm

First off, I'd like to say that I love this app and so far I can get most things working.

Yesterday I set up my computer with Remoter and worked fine on my home network. WoL was set up correctly, ports 5900 & 9 are forwarded on my home router. In the "Advance Settings" the MAC address is of the computer & Broadcast IP is the internal IP of the same computer. When I went to school today, I almost instantly got the, "Error connecting to server" when I tried to connect. The computer was left on and time interval for sleep was set "never" to avoid complications. I went to my DynDNS.org account to check my external IP address and placed that instead of the internal IP & it still failed.

Any ideas?
Hakoda

Re: Can't connect from the Internet

Postby raf » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Yes!, did you remember to set up your router for port forwarding? You need to port forward port 5900. Take a look at the FAQ/Guides. Hopefully this will be easier to set up in the future, but for now, we're stuck with the router configuration step.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Hakoda » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 pm

Yes my home router is configured to port forward 5900 & 9 but does the network I'm connecting from (not my home router, say a local coffee shop or school) have to have those ports forwarded too?
Hakoda

Postby raf » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Hakoda wrote:Yes my home router is configured to port forward 5900 & 9 but does the network I'm connecting from (not my home router, say a local coffee shop or school) have to have those ports forwarded too?

No they don't but they need to have them open on their firewall (they usually are open).
Test to see if your router/computer setup is working here:
http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/
Or here
http://www.gotomyvnc.com/

Port 9 is only used for WoL, and can't be tested with those sites; but do test port 5900.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support