Remoter For Mac 1.6.0

Remoter For Mac 1.6.0

Postby raf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Remoter For Mac 1.6.0 is out!

-Retail version is out (http://store.remoterlabs.com)
-Mac App Store version will be submitted soon. NOTE: Mac App Store customers can now download the retail version and be fully licensed. Simply download it from the "Try Remoter" button in the store page (http://store.remoterlabs.com)
-Mac App Store version is now out (07/23/2013)

What’s New In Version 1.6.0:
-New more Mac like icon (perspective / transparent background. Note: You might need to reboot for the icon cache to update)
-RDP: Added font smoothing support / session editor option.
-Core enhancements: Codebase is now 64bit and ARC compliant. Code refactoring, rendering updates, crash reporting, new alert system, new cached grid rendering system, GCD updates, completely removed Chameleon
-Application size decrease from 18MB to 15MB!
-Code ARC compliant, weak referencing (even in SL thanks to PLWeakCompatibility!)
-Visual: Updated backgrounds in grid and in configuration screens, font in grid
-Ask on quit only if sessions are running. (When closing the window).
-SSH/Telnet Sessions: Setting color for initial BG/FG/Cursor is now configurable
-VNC engine updated
-Added support for screenshotting terminal sessions.
-Change the "+" button to a back arrow when in the discovery list. (This helps indicate the user that this button will bring them back to the previous screen.)
-Keyboard Shortcuts: 1 - 5: Change the type selector, 6(or K): Change the category, Cmd+F for “Find, Command+N for "New Session”, Cmd+S or Cmd+Z for “Sort Mode”, Cmd+D for “Discovery”, Cmd+R for “Refresh” discovery list. Cmd+W Cmd-M for Minimize. Session Editor: Cmd+S: Save Cmd+W: Close.
-Added "Unassigned" special category. If selected, all sessions without a category are displayed.
-Better multi-monitor support over RemoterFusion
-RemoterFusion: Don't disconnect when remoter fusion connection fails, simply reconnect the RF session, Support for Ping from RF. Timeout (10sec). If a connection stops working, disconnect and reconnect. Added support for pasteboard message from RF. (strings only). Adding support for RemoterFusion unicode keystrokes. RemoterFusion Port can now be specified in Advanced settings. If enabled, then RF is used even if not a RF session.
-CloudSyncManager: Backup / Restore SSH Keys as well. Backup / Restores Password Manager entries too. Updated Dropbox sdk
-SSH/Terminal: Ask user if they want to enable requesting ssh username/password if these entries are left blank when saving the session.
-Use Mac App Store receipt for licensing if available

Bug Fixes In Version 1.6.0:
-Fix for F9, F10, F11, F12
-New alert system should correct all issues with alerts in previous versions
-Updated other app art that features the icon. Default thumbnail doesn't have gray bg anymore. Now starry sky.
-Corrected a bug in Session editor that would prevent the editor from coming up (exception) if the MAC field was nil.
—Corrected issue where "Please click connect" would be displayed even if not in RF session. But if RF name or pin were set by the user.
-Updates to clipboard polling, RDP: Updates to pasteboard(clipboard) sync: All pasteboard operations performed in the main thread now.
-Fix crash on session editor exit in some cases.
—IP address discovery for Netbios fix
-Aligning all framebuffers
-Fixed security pin for Mac to turn the screen black on prompt.
—Fixes that were causing Lion/ML from restoring windows incorrectly.
-SessionEditor: When selecting SSH key - change password to passphrase. Added option to bring up SSH Key Manager from ssh key dropdown. When ssh key manager exits, session editor reloads ssh keys.
-Fix for issue with RDP clipboard sync that caused problems when pasting formulas in Excel amongst other issues
-Fix for terminal sessions in retina display
-Session Editor: Fixed issue with being prompted to save in some cases even if no changes were made. (Still always ask on new session)
-If in discovery list mode: Search bar is not editable.
-Fixed restoration of secondary window after closing it. (Now it can be closed independently as well).
-Fixed combinations of special keys. (Command, Shift, Alt, Control)
-Spanish localization message issues corrected
-Made alerts more keyboard friendly: If the alert has no text fields: enter will perform the default action (rightmost button), Esc will simulate tapping on "Cancel" (if a button titled cancel exists. If the alert has text fields: enter on the bottom most text field will perform the default action.
-Fix for terminal follow cursor so that the cursor is only followed if it actually changes coordinates.
-Fix for crash on telnet connection refused in some cases
-Fixed some issues with reconnect: including potential crashes.
-Many other miscellaneous bugs squashed
raf
Site Admin

Re: Remoter For Mac 1.6.0

Postby robnh » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Release 1.6.0 is not unstable. After updating to 1.6.0 remoter has crashed several times. One of the signs that remoter will be crashing is signaled when remoter cannot resolve a hostname that is resolvable. After the app crashes, or after I restart remote before it crashes, it is able to resolve the hostname again. The person that sits next to me also used remoter and has similar issues. It has sent a couple a crash reports to Apple.

Any idea on when you will be updating the application? It's not very useful as it stands now. I've had to go with other solutions like tigervnc for interim.
robnh

Postby raf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:13 pm

We've corrected a number of crashes based on reports. Not this one you mention about host resolution. Can you help me recreate this?
If you can help, please email me at support AT remoterlabs DOT com.
I'd love to be able to get this one fixed before 1.6.1 is released.

Thank you for your help!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby maclemming » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 pm

I am having a lot of issues with 1.6.0. It seems like after about 30 minutes or so, it just doesn't want to work anymore. If I click on a new session, I get a new window, but it never actually connects. At that point, pretty much nothing works. I can't even close an existing session. If I click the red x, it does nothing. I have to go to the session browser window, right click the session and disconnect. After doing that, I still cannot connect again. I have to cmd+q to quit the app, and then re-open to get it working again. Very frustrating, as it happens 5-6 times a day.
maclemming

Postby raf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:04 pm

Version 1.6.1 is out (retail - http://store.remoterlabs.com). Also was submitted to Apple for review recently.
This version corrects a bunch of issues, and (the MAS version) also includes crash reporting, which will IMMENSELY help track down issues in the future.

If you can, please update to 1.6.1 (if you own the MAS version, you can run the retail version for free, no need to register again).

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience that 1.6.0 has caused.
(For those that are interested: Turns out updating the code base to ARC, which was done mainly to make the code more robust, had some unintended consequences. Mainly because Remoter depends on several C-only libraries which are not ARC aware. We're working to correct all of these cases, but without crash reports, this is really hard.)

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:58 am

As a quick test for this I left Remoter 1.6.1 running all night with 3 sessions open:
-One VNC session to a Mac
-One VNC session to Linux
-One RDP session to Windows XP

Today, Remoter is still running, and the sessions are still active.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 pm

Please try updating to 1.6.11 (retail).
I was testing using 1.6.1 MAS which had some extra fixes over 1.6.1 retail.
1.6.11 (retail) was just released, and it includes these fixes.

Thanks
raf
Site Admin

Postby maclemming » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 pm

I downloaded the app from the website (it still has the 1.6.0 installer, by the way). After installing, (and the auto-upgrade to 1.6.11) I found that none of my sessions were there, because the website app apparently has a different config saving location (as well as a different name) than the app store app. I think I remember a discussion about this a while back. I did a cloud sync from 'Remoter' to 'Remoter for Mac' and got all of my sessions imported. I'll let you know if I have any more issues with 1.6.11.

Thanks raf.
maclemming

Return to Announcements