Thumb friendley trackpad layout

Thumb friendley trackpad layout

Postby swepet » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 am

Hello !

I have had Remoter VNC on my iphone for a long time and have been very happy with it doing simpler stuff over VNC on linux boxes.
Recently i got an iPad and i did put Remoter VNC on the iPad, i also wanted to try how well it would work with google sketchup on a windows machine, so
i bough the RDP addon (actually i bought the "everything" addon).

And what a happy surprise it was to see sketchup running smooth and perfectly on the iPad. And with the trackpad feature in Remoter VNC it is very easy to control sketchup,
for example holding down the third "mouse" button lets you rotate the view, and the slider lets you zoom in and out, i love it !

However a couple of hours of using sketchup on the iPad is hard on my thumbs, i like to hold my ipad with my hands and control the trackpad with my thumbs..

So i have a suggestion on a new thumb friendly trackpad layout. That would make my world a whole lot better, and i think it will open up the Remoter VNC to use with CAD programs, like sketchup, blender, etc..
Where you want to be able to hold down a mouse button while dragging the pointer etc..without the need to cross your fingers/thumbs..

I have attached a picture of my suggested trackpad layout..

Thanks for a great app !

/Peter, "sketchup designer"
Attachments
request2.jpg
request2.jpg (113.15 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
swepet

Re: Thumb friendley trackpad layout

Postby swepet » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwNH9GSFNo

Here is a video of me using Sketchup on a ipad...
swepet

Postby alexschomb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Interesting idea. I don't know whether raf is interested in extending Remoters capabilities towards remote sketching support - currently Remoter is mainly an administrative tool. But if he is going to add an additional layout for the iPad I guess it should be worth asking for (pressure-sensitive) stylus support. I wouldn't use it myself as I'm not very artistic, but I guess there could be some potential buyers who would be interested in this. http://hex3.co/products/jaja
alexschomb

Postby raf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:51 am

Peter - I actually LOVE your idea. It just makes sense, not just for sketching but for any usage. It even makes sense for the iphone. I'm definitely adding something like this to Remoter in the short term. Thanks for the feedback!
Alex - Very cool and interesting product. Not sure how it could work for Remoter, though, since the receiving app needs to understand the pressure-dimension, right?.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby swepet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 am

Very nice !
Looking forward to it !

I think the trackpad makes everything easier to control, especially pointing pressition in small menus etc, not just sketching.. Will love to see a improved layout !

I first got the app to admin my Linux boxes using my iPhone, when I got my ipad I thought I would give Sketchup a try on the iPad.. Wow what a surprised I was finding out it worked so good, and thanks to the trackpad feature i can get as good pressition as sitting in front of my computer..

Have a nice day !
swepet

Postby alexschomb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Yep that's right. There has to be another piece of software that translates the pressure information for software. Might be a lot of work, so better consider this as a sidenote ;)
alexschomb

Return to Feature Requests