[Resolved] - "Couldn't Convert My IP Address To Host"??????

Report your issues here

[Resolved] - "Couldn't Convert My IP Address To Host"??????

Postby MACMAN04 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm working off a Mac OS X and using a IPOD Touch. I followed the step by step instructions; making a name, putting the Mac's IP Address in, and putting in the Screen Sharing Password. Every time I try and connect, its says on my IPOD Touch: "DISCONNECTED" "Couldn't convert (My IP Address) to host address". I lost and have no idea why that is happening. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you...
MACMAN04

Re: "Couldn't Convert My IP Address To Host"??????

Postby raf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Please double check your IP address to make sure it's formatted correctly. It might be missing an octet, or have a character instead of all numbers. Somehow, from your description it sounds like the TCP/IP stack on the iPhone is interpreting what you entered as a hostname, and not as a numeric IP address.
raf
Site Admin

Postby MACMAN04 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 pm

I've looked at the TCP/IP address multiple time and made sure that it was correct, its all numeric and there are no characters in it. I typed it in number for number and still no luck. I don't know why the IPOD TOUCH is reading it as a hostname and not an IP address. Have any other ideas?
MACMAN04

Postby raf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:45 pm

MACMAN04 wrote:I've looked at the TCP/IP address multiple time and made sure that it was correct, its all numeric and there are no characters in it. I typed it in number for number and still no luck. I don't know why the IPOD TOUCH is reading it as a hostname and not an IP address. Have any other ideas?

Could you try using your Mac's hostname instead of the IP address? (You can get your hostname from a terminal by typing "hostname").
Also look under System Preferences, Sharing. Under "Computer Name" it reads: Computers on your local network can access your computer at: XXXX, where XXXX is the hostname.
You could also try creating the session again, just in case.
raf
Site Admin

Postby MACMAN04 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:00 am

Thank you!!!
MACMAN04

Postby raf » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:03 am

MACMAN04 wrote:Thank you!!!

Glad to hear you solved it!
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support