Disconnected - Error connecting to Server

Report your issues here

Disconnected - Error connecting to Server

Postby kwilliams » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Hello,

I have installed TightVNC and set the password. After this was complete I entered my computers IP address (1111.111.1.1), I then entered my set password for TightVNC.

After all of this was complete I tried to connect and received the error "Disconnected" Error connecting to server.

All help will be appreciated!
kwilliams

Re: Disconnected - Error connecting to Server

Postby raf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 am

The IP address you mentioned is not valid. Make sure you're getting your computer IP address correctly. One way to get your IP address in windows is to press WindowsKey+R, type cmd and press enter.
In the command terminal type ipconfig
Your IP address will be listed in the output.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby kwilliams » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:12 am

That is how I found my IP address. It is in the format of ###.###.#.#. I did it again this morning and the result was the same. What format should I be looking for?
kwilliams

Postby raf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:32 am

kwilliams wrote:That is how I found my IP address. It is in the format of ###.###.#.#. I did it again this morning and the result was the same. What format should I be looking for?

You don't have to mask your IP address, as it's internal to your home network.
Routers typically assign IPs in the range: 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x. You first said your IP was 1111.something, and octets in the IP address only go up to 255, that's why I said your IP (1111.xxx) was incorrect.

If you're using the right IP address, then make sure tightvnc is installed correctly.
Some things to try:
-from a command console on the same machine type:
telnet localhost 5900

You should see a message like:
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
RFB 003.889

If you don't, then it means tightVNC is not running correctly. Try rebooting your computer if you haven's since you installed tightVNC. Or try re-installing it.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby kwilliams » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:47 pm

I get a RFB number but not any of the other information in your post. Just to be on the safe side I did uninstall and reinstall, confirmed my IP, password and still get the same error.
kwilliams

Postby raf » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:55 pm

kwilliams wrote:I get a RFB number but not any of the other information in your post. Just to be on the safe side I did uninstall and reinstall, confirmed my IP, password and still get the same error.

From that I believe your VNC Server is running. Do you have another computer in your LAN you can use to try to connect? If so, install tightvnc on it, but don't install the server, just the client; then you can try connecting to your other computer using tightvnc viewer.
Are you using an iPhone ? Is you iPhone connected to your WiFi? If it's trying to access your server via 3G it won't work unless you set up your router correctly, and connect using your external IP address.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby kwilliams » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:39 am

I installed the viewer on another computer and entered the IP address for my computer with the server. The connection failed.

I'm connecting via Wi-Fi using my iPad (home network connecting internally).

Based on your feedback, I went to www.whatismyip.com to get the external IP address and entered that on my iPad with the same password I set on the server, but my connection failed again. I'm wondering if there is something more I should enter to specify the computer I would like to connect to.

Thanks again for helping me with this.
kwilliams

Postby raf » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:54 am

No problem. I actually like engaging with customers; it helps me understand how they use Remoter, so I can make enhancements in usability/help pinpoint issues, etc for future releases.

From what you said. If you can't connect from another computer on your home network either, then I have to conclude that for some reason your VNC server is either not running correctly, or the firewall is blocking it.

To decide which, could you temporarily disable your firewall, and try to connect again? Also, please try connecting from the same computer; just to make sure it connects. When doing that, specify "localhost" in the vnc viewer.

If you discover that is not the firewall; meaning, you still can't connect after disabling it / running locally. Then the VNC server installation somehow failed, or the server didn't start. Look in your Start Menu - Installed Programs - TightVNC, see if there's a program to set up your server there.

If all else fails, I would suggest un installing TightVNC; and trying UltraVNC instead. (http://www.uvnc.com/download/1082/1082full.html)

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support