[Resolved - No WoL over WiFi] Wake on LAN NOT WORKING

Report your issues here

[Resolved - No WoL over WiFi] Wake on LAN NOT WORKING

Postby Ramskobe1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 am

Folks, great app. Beats pocket cloud and iteleport in my experience. I do have a major problem. I keep my windows vista 64 laptop in sleep mode constantly. Remoter cannot seem to wake it on my home wifi network and so connection fails every time until I can to the laptop and physically wake it. What should I do. Do I need to install some software on my laptop or do I need to turn the machine off instead. I guess I am at my wits end here, or maybe the solution is in my blindspot.
Ramskobe1

Re: Wake on LAN NOT WORKING for me help please

Postby raf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 am

The only way to wake up your system from sleep remotely is via the "Wake-on-LAN" feature of many NIC cards. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't work over WiFi, you need to have your computer connected via a network cable (ethernet). This is not a problem with Remoter, rather the way Wake-on-LAN works.
If your system supports WoL, then try connecting your machine to your router using a cable so that you can wake it up with Remoter, and then establish a connection.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Ramskobe1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:45 am

Oh boy,
Thanks for ur response.
This clarifies things. Is there a way to your knowledge to wake the pc from my iPad over wifi, a separate app maybe that does that or something else.
Ramskobe1

Postby raf » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:06 am

Not to my knowledge. What's more, my understanding is that it's impossible for software to do this, as there is no hardware support for it. Sorry.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Re: [Resolved - No WoL over WiFi] Wake on LAN NOT WORKING

Postby ignatz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:30 am

If you use a wireless "gaming adaptor" (TRENDNet, D-Link, Buffalo, etc), which connects to your wireless PC's Ethernet port, you can use Remoter's WoL feature to wake it up. Works great.
ignatz

Postby raf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 am

ignatz wrote:If you use a wireless "gaming adaptor" (TRENDNet, D-Link, Buffalo, etc), which connects to your wireless PC's Ethernet port, you can use Remoter's WoL feature to wake it up. Works great.

Good point. Thanks for sharing!
raf
Site Admin

Postby Ramskobe1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:34 pm

I happen to have one actually. I'll try it out. Thanks.
Ramskobe1

Postby stilllearning » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Hello, as my moniker indicates, I am in learning mode with this stuff. But, here goes . . .

My stuff: MacBook Pro (new in 2011) running Snow Leopard, iPad2 with Remoter 2.4 and Airport Express 802.11N. MBP is wireless only, 100%. And, I routinely put my MBP to sleep and wake it using iPad2 with Remoter app over my Airport Express LAN. This would seem to contradict the conclusions of previous posts so I did a Google search and found this:

"Snow Leopard extends Wake-on-LAN feature... if your config is right . . . Now, as Macworld explains, the ability to wake sleeping Macs remotely has been extended in two vital ways with Snow Leopard as a new feature called Wake on Demand. First, the new OS allows sleeping machines to hand off Bonjour broadcast tasks . . . to an Airport Extreme base station or Time Capsule, letting the machine's services appear always-on even if the actual Mac is asleep; the Mac will wake remotely when needed by a client. The second feature requires that you pair your recent-vintage Airport with a recent Mac model (all 2009 versions, and possibly some 2008 models as well): you can wake the machine over Wi-Fi, rather than just over Ethernet. If you go to System Profiler, to the Network section and the Airport data sheet -- look for a line that says "Wake on Wireless." If it's there, you've got the capability."

My objective now is to configure my MBP, iPad2 Remoter app and my Airport Express so that I can wake up the MBP outside of my Airport Express network. That is, I want to be able to wake up the MBP over the Internet. raf, I am working my way through the Mac 101 steps that you recommend (see link below) with difficulty, but would first like your take on this question: Once I get the VNC up and running, do you think the "Wake on Wireless" feature will work?

http://mac101.net/content/how-to/how-to ... ux-iphone/

Thanks in advance. Really like your app.
stilllearning

Postby raf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:25 pm

That's very interesting; I wasn't aware of that technology.
I also have a 2011 MBP, I'll give this a try tonight, and I'll let you know.

Thanks for sharing!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

stilllearning

Postby stilllearning » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 pm

When my (wireless) MBP is sleeping and when I launch Remoter from my iPad2 and when I touch the "Wake" button on Remoter, Remoter sends the Wake-On-Lan Packet but my MBP does NOT wake; however, when I touch the "start" button, my MBP DOES wake up. But, Remoter returns a message starting with "Disconnected, Host: xx.x.x.x Port: xxxx Unable to Connect to Server."
stilllearning

Next

Return to Support