Blue Screen Resolution

Report your issues here

Blue Screen Resolution

Postby mbsmike » Wed May 30, 2012 4:26 pm

I am trying to connect RDP to my work computer. When I do I get a partial screen draw and then Blue Screen Of Death on the computer. I am guessing it is a resolution problem as I have no problem connecting to my machine at home. My work has what seems to be an odd resolution for my monitor, it is 1680 X 1050. It is the only thing that will right on my monitor but is not a choice in Remoter.

Do you have any ideas???

Thanks Mike
mbsmike

Re: Blue Screen Resolution

Postby raf » Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 am

Hi mbsmike,

Remoter VNC 3.6.1 (Pro 1.0.2) on the iPad allows you to enter a custom resolution. Simply click on the RDP Resolution field, and select "Custom". For the iPhone, it will be added in 3.6.3 (Pro 1.0.4). In the mean time, you can do it manually. If you connect your iPhone to your computer, open iTunes, and navigate to your devices' apps tab, you can scroll down, select Remoter and access the "Documents" directory. In there, you will be able to find the sessions.plist file. If you drag this file to your desktop and edit it, look for the resolution, and replace it with your desired resolution. (Make sure to make a backup of the original just in case). Then you can drag it back into itunes.
(Make sure Remoter is not running on the device while you do this! -- stop it with the mutitask bar beforehand).

Hope this helps!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby mbsmike » Thu May 31, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks Raf! Just another quick challenge here. When I put in the custom 1680 X 1050 I was able to connect, yet it truncated the right side of my screen because I have duel monitors.

Here is my layout:
Main monitor 1680 X 1050
Secondary monitor 1024 X 768 Located on the left

I thought I could get smart and add the 1680 + 1024 and used 2704 X 1050.....but another blue screen.

I know it is odd to have the secondary monitor on the left but this works best at my desk. The other computers that I use VNC on, I can't switch monitors when they are on the left. So am I just going to have to live with it because the monitor is on the left?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mike
mbsmike

Postby raf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Did you ever resolve this?
This issue depends on many factors. Which version of OSX are you running? Are you using RemoterFusion?

Thanks!,
Raf.

(PS: Sorry for the delay to respond! The move is finally over. Forum support is back to normal.)
raf
Site Admin

Postby mbsmike » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Sorry raf I did not see you replied. I never did fix the issue, got tired of blue screens and no one offered any solutions. I'll give you the details you asked for........the machine I'm connecting to is running XP and RDP.

Let me know if you want me to try anything.

Thanks,
Mike
mbsmike

Postby raf » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:17 am

Hi Mike,

If your windows machine is blue screening when you connect via RDP, I would think you have some problem with your Windows machine. There's just so many different causes for blue screen, it would be hard for me to point you in the right direction. What does the blue screen say exactly? Sometimes it points you in the right direction by including info such a graphics driver.
But it could be: the RAM you have installed is flaky or not 100% compatible, some piece of hardware is conflicting with another piece of hardware. A setting in your BIOS doesn't sit well with your installed hardware or windows. A driver problem. The list goes on.
Of course since it's only happening when you connect, I wonder if it's a known problem with RDP on XP machines running dual monitors.

sorry I can't be of more help. Have you tried connecting via VNC instead of RDP?

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support