[Resolved - No WoL over WiFi] Wake on LAN NOT WORKING

Report your issues here

Re: [Resolved - No WoL over WiFi] Wake on LAN NOT WORKING

Postby stilllearning » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:00 pm

I should add that Remoter works. I just click through the "Disconnected" message.
stilllearning

Postby stilllearning » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:02 pm

To clarify, I just click through the "Disconnected" message. Remoter connects to my wireless MBP and works fine.
stilllearning

Postby raf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:53 pm

I tested it today, and it does indeed work; at least while in sleep. Not sure it will wake up if it's completely off (it might need an ethernet connection for that case).
Not only does it wake up when receiving the WoL magic packet, but it also wakes up when attempting to establish the VNC session.

Raf.

PS: I also tested this using the new WoL via hostname (Remoter 2.4.1) and it worked great.
I have a wrt54g running the tomato firmware, and it doesn't allow to forward to the broadcast address (.255), so I forwarded straight to the MBP IP.
As an alternative, for ppl running tomato or dd-wrt, you can follow the steps from here: http://www.wolcenter.com/faq.php
That, is: go to "Administration" - "Scripts" - "firewall", and paste this:
Code: Select all
ip neigh change 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0
ip neigh add 192.168.1.254 lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br0

Now you can forward to .254 and it will be broadcast.
raf
Site Admin

Postby t-bo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:42 am

I have Mac OS X Snow Leopard + Airport Extreme (last firmware) and Wake On Lan does work over Wifi if it's in sleep mode. (not completely turned off).

Also need to turn on "Wake for network access" in the Energy Saver preference panel.
t-bo

Postby stilllearning » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:09 am

Can you help me configure my FIOS cable modem/router, Airport Express, etc. so that I can connect to the MBP outside of my Airport Express network?
Once I get the VNC up and running, I will test the "Wake on Wireless" feature. I am getting confused re: static v dynamic IPs, port forwarding, etc. The Mac 101 steps make sense but, obviously, I am missing something.
stilllearning

Postby stilllearning » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 am

I have an ActionTec/FIOS cable modem /router. I do not use the ActionTec for my LAN. Rather, I hardwire my Airport Express 802.1N to an ActionTec Ethernet port. The Airport Express assigns IP addresses (10.0.1.x, for example) to my MBP, iPad2, etc.

Some very basic questions.

1) Does DynDNS use the IP address of the ActionTec?
2) Is there any port forwarding in the ActionTec? I think the answer is "No" but I don't understand how a connection attempt from outside the AE LAN gets through the ActionTec, then through the AE and then, finally, to the MBP.
stilllearning

Postby raf » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:33 pm

stilllearning wrote:1) Does DynDNS use the IP address of the ActionTec?

DynDNS uses your public IP address (not the 10.x). The one you see when you access dyndns.org, or http://www.whatsmyip.com

2) Is there any port forwarding in the ActionTec? I think the answer is "No" but I don't understand how a connection attempt from outside the AE LAN gets through the ActionTec, then through the AE and then, finally, to the MBP.

I'm not familiar with ActionTec; but your cable/fios/dsl modem usually is just the modem part, and not a router, so the port forwarding has to be done at the router (AE in your case) level.

(internet)---->ActionTec(Modem)->public IP-->AirportExpress(Router)-> (Using NAT) gives you internal IPs in the 10.0.1.x (in your case; more common is 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x)
raf
Site Admin

Postby rowno14 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:38 am

Hi, the app is awesome, I love it! I know this is probably a stupid question, but how do I configure the mac address for the wake on lan feature on the remoter app itself? I have everything set up on my router (I set up port forwarding to .254) and I checked my mac's system info (macbook pro 2011, lion) and it supports wake on wireless. I used remoter fusion and there is no where while setting it up in the app where I can enter my mac's address and external IP. Help is very much appreciated! Thanks.
rowno14

Postby raf » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:58 am

Hi rowno14,
You need to tap on the "Advanced" button, and scroll down to "General Advanced Settings" to get to the section where the MAC Address needs to be inserted. A future version of RemoterFusion will provide this information to Remoter automatically. For now, you will have to enter it yourself.

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby rowno14 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Thanks! It worked, except that it doesn't wake up when I press the wake up button. It wakes up when I try to actually connect and it goes through just fine. I'm just wondering, would I be able to wake it up over a 3g network away from home?
rowno14

PreviousNext

Return to Support