Black screen problem

Report your issues here

Black screen problem

Postby vampyren » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Hello,

After reading many good reviews i purchased this application and was hoping for smooth sailing but sadly i dont manage to make it work.
Problem 1)
To start with when i use LAN through WLAN and using local address it does connect but all i can see is black. I tried to change full screen, waiting for a long time but no change.

Problem 2)
When i use 3G on my iPhone it refuses to connect. I have setup portforwarding on my router (port 5900) also.
One funny thing is on ultraVNC when i change the server setting to use Ports->Main:5900 and press the apply the setting is falling back on Display:0 option. I dont know why but maybe this is the way ultraVNC work. Either way i can not connect using 3G. Have tested everything so i'm out of ideas now.
Any advice i can try? (of course i use external IP instead of 192.168.1.30 when using 3G, i use whatismyip.com to make sure IP is correct :) )

i have also attached the setting on both ultraVNC and App.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
photo 2.jpg
Setting advanced
photo 2.jpg (115.69 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
photo 1.jpg
Setting1
photo 1.jpg (97.21 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
Screen shot 2011-04-14 at 10.26.09 PM.jpg
VNC Server
Screen shot 2011-04-14 at 10.26.09 PM.jpg (126.23 KiB) Viewed 8211 times
vampyren

Re: Black screen problem

Postby raf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:20 am

That's bizarre that you're getting a black screen. What version of UltraVNC are you using? You need to use 1.8.0.2.

About your problem when connecting via 3G, you can make sure your setup is correct by going to http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/ or http://www.gotomyvnc.com/ .. This will check your router port forwarding and VNC server.

Raf.

PS: VNC display 0 = port 5900, VNC display 1 = port 5901, etc..
raf
Site Admin

Postby vampyren » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Hi,

I am using the right version, just downloaded yesterday :) i use the x64bit and skipped the vista extra stuff which i guess shouldnt matter as i'm using Win7 (correct me if wrong please). Tested this again now and still back screen is all i get. Not sure what more i can do, as you said it its bizarre :D

About 3G problem, to be honest i'm pretty skilled with computers but i cant figure out why your links dont discover my ports! I have used both port forwarding and triggering which is even better. I have also port 3389 for remote desktop which i use frequently and it dont even discover that. Atleast remote desktop works fine between my mac and pc through internal network.
I dont have any antivirus or firewall installed on this particular pc either since its being used 99% as media player and i just started to sue it for this sort of stuff. For this test i also disabled windows's buildin firewall without luck.
Any tips are welcome, and thank for the quick respond.

ps. then i guess i use the right port as its set to 0. Thanks for info.
vampyren

Postby raf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:17 pm

When installing UltraVNC try following the YouTube guides, this might help:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=130

If the links are not showing the ports responding and you don't trust the sites, you can test manually.

From outside your home/LAN. Open a console (cmd in windows), and try
telnet homeorlanhostname 5900

If it just hangs there, or gives you an error, then there is a problem with your setup.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby vampyren » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:51 am

@raf:

Thank you so much for your great assistance!

First problem was solved when i selected the "extra" stuff for vista which is to me a bit strange as i use Win7 but anyhow it works now :)

Second problem was solved also today. i went to Netgear and saw an firmware update. When i tried to update the router refused to do so. So i restarted the router and it suddenly accepted the firmware update and now afterwards when i scan the ports it all works fine. So my conclusion is that the router must have been in a bad state somehow.

Thanks for your help.
vampyren

Postby raf » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:57 am

Great to hear that!

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support