Does Remoter Hold the Connection in the Background?

Does Remoter Hold the Connection in the Background?

Postby dscrofani » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:10 am

I'm writing code on a linux server, via my ipad, using Textastic for editing and syncing. I need a good straight ssh terminal app. Currently I'm using TouchTermPro but the problem is that this does not hold a connection to the server in the background. So every time I run my code and leave TouchTerm to edit the code in Textastic, I have to reauthenticate on the server when returning to TouchTerm. I suppose that TouchTerm is an older iPhone app that predates multitasking and has not been updated.

So . . .

1. Is remoter a sufficient full ssh terminal app
2. Does it hold a connection to servers when in the background?
dscrofani

Re: Does Remoter Hold the Connection in the Background?

Postby raf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:29 am

1. I'd like to think so. But I'll let other users answer this one.
2. Remoter attempts to maintain the connection active; but iOS doesn't allow apps to run in the background (they get suspended now with 'multitasking' instead of being terminated as before).
Apps can request to the OS to be kept running for a limited time. So there's a time limit on how long Remoter (and any other app) will be able to keep the connection active (the max amount it can stay active is around 10minutes) (iOS allows Voip, GPS and music apps to keep connections active longer, of course, but only those types of apps can do it).
If 10minutes is not enough, Remoter can remember your credentials, and also supports macros, so this might help mitigate the problem.

BTW, Remoter VNC doesn't include SSH, you will have to purchase that separately as an in-app purchase. The SSH add-on is currently only $0.99 though.

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby dscrofani » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 pm

10 minutes is more than enough! Awesome.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm gonna get this baby.
dscrofani

Postby raf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:31 pm

dscrofani wrote:10 minutes is more than enough! Awesome.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm gonna get this baby.

Thank you!, and be sure to let me know if you run into any problems. For personalized help, you can also email me at support AT rafsoftware DOT com

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Other Topics