Remote setup with ethernet instead of wireless

Report your issues here

Remote setup with ethernet instead of wireless

Postby jhsidoc » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm reading the guide for setting up remote WAN and it talks about getting the MAC address from Network settings. I don't see that and suspect it's related to the fact that I have my main computer hooked to the router via ethernet cable. Is there something I need to do differently for an ethernet connection? (BTW, I have set up my router for a fixed IP address within my home network) Thanks.
jhsidoc

Re: Remote setup with ethernet instead of wireless

Postby raf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:49 pm

The part of the guide that talks about the MAC address is for setting up your router to assign a static IP to your computer. If you already have a static IP assigned to your machine, you can skip that step altogether.
(In any case, if you need to find out your MAC address you can always try this at the terminal:

macbookraf:~ raf$ ifconfig en0
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether ab:cd:ef:12:34:56
media: autoselect

where "ab:cd:ef:12:34:56" would be the MAC address.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby yoohany » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 am

How do you connect an ethernet jack to a wireless network? I just purchased a tv with a ethernet jack enabling it to surf youtube, the weather, etc. However my apartment complex provides free wireless throughout the complex, meaning I need a way to connect the bare jack on the back of the tv to this network, and I have no idea how, any help would be great, especially space saving solutions.
Last edited by yoohany on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoohany

Postby ignatz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:40 am

In order to connect your TV's Ethernet port to a wireless network you will need a wireless adaptor - sometimes called a gaming adaptor - sometimes called an ethernet adaptor. You first set it up through a PC's ethernet port by connecting to your wireless network. Then it can be connected to any ethernet port on any device for "wireless Internet access".
ignatz

Return to Support