Remoter VNC completely unresponsive immediately.

Report your issues here

Remoter VNC completely unresponsive immediately.

Postby mcq » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Two days ago I successfully I ran Remoter on my iPad to talk to my home server (Mac Mini via VNC over SSH on (non-standard) port 122). The session completed normally, and I exited without problems. (This is all good.)

Yesterday, when I tried to start the same Remoter on my iPad, the app ran to the point where the GUI was painted (i.e. it displayed the session list including the one for my Mac Mini), but the app was completely unresponsive to touch input. To be clear: the UI was drawn, but the only thing I could do was exit the app by pushing the home button.

In an effort to troubleshoot the problem, I did the following steps:
1) removed Remoter VNC from the recent apps list (i.e. double clicked home button and closed it from the list)
2) powered the iPad off and on

This did not fix the problem; Remoter VNC was still unresponsive the next time I started it.

I then tried deleting the app off of the iPad and then re-installing it. This did not fix the problem either.

As of now, Remoter VNC does not work at all on my iPad, and I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
mcq

Re: Remoter VNC completely unresponsive immediately.

Postby mcq » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Not that this is particularly relevant, but I can also say that at I could still use iSSH to talk to my home server at the point where Remoter VNC failed, so it's clear that it's not a fundamental issue with (for example) all network connections on the device.

I should also mention that I am running the most recent (as of today) version of Remoter VNC that is available on the app store.
mcq

Postby raf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:33 am

This sounds like a problem with Remoter's network discovery and something in your network.
Please try the following:
-go into settings and turn your wifi off (or just go into airplane mode)
-terminate remoter using the multitask bar
-start remoter and go into the Remoter Config screen
-disable the option called "Machine Discovery" and then close remoter again (terminate via multitask bar)
-go back into settings and disable airplane mode, or reenable wifi

Hope this helps!,
Raf
raf
Site Admin

Postby mcq » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 am

That worked, thanks.

That's a pretty unfortunate failure mode for that situation. Hopefully it doesn't hit too many people.
mcq

Postby raf » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 am

No, it's not that common, but I do get support requests about this about once every two or three months.
The problem is that I haven't been able to recreate the problem, and that why it hasn't been corrected.
Any help would be immensely appreciated.

If you're willing to help, here are some things I would love for you to do:
1- Easiest: list all the devices on your network. Sometimes this can be pulled from the router
2- A bit harder: Disconnect everything from your wifi network, then iterate between checking remoter, and starting/connecting every device to the wifi, until you determine which one is causing the issue.

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support