Did not receive identification string from (IP Address)

Report your issues here

Did not receive identification string from (IP Address)

Postby n8henrie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Hello,

Remoter 3.6.3 on jailbroken iPhone 4 running 5.1.1

I previously used Remoter with VNC by way of port forwarding, but recently I've been enjoying the extra security of setting up VNC over SSH with pubkey authentication. Everything was going splendidly until recently; when I try to connect (even locally) via SSH, Remoter freezes at either "Connecting..." (local SSH) or "Creating Secure Tunnel" (remote, VNC over SSH). The indicator spins, but nothing happens and it eventually crashes.

When connecting locally, my Mac's system.log shows that they pubkey appears to be accepted:
Code: Select all
Accepted publickey for [user] from [ip addy] port [port] ssh2

but then shows:
Code: Select all
Did not receive identification string from [ip addy]

My roommate's virtually identical jb iP4 on 5.1.1 connects with Remoter (3.6.3) just fine, and my jb iPad 2 also connects just fine with Remoter 3.6.3.

Any ideas where I could start? Are there any log files I could look for on the iP4?

Many thanks,
Nate

EDIT:
I forgot to mention a few things. For one, the SSH Key Manager doesn't seem to be working, either. Whenever I try to generate a new SSH key, it gives me the "This may take a minute" message but never completes generating the key, eventually crashes.

More importantly, I've already tried deleting the app and reinstalling; this has failed to resolve the above issues.

Finally, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some consternation regarding my phone being jailbroken given the recent in-app purchase cracker fiasco. Please feel free to verify my purchase and SSH upgrade.
n8henrie

Re: Did not receive identification string from (IP Address)

Postby raf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:14 am

Hi,

I'm not sure what the problem could be. Can you give me more info so I can try to recreate?
-Device type and firmware version
-Type of SSH key
-Machine you're connecting to info

I just tried to create SSH keys in SSH Key Manager using RSA for SSH1, RSA for SSH2 and DSA for SSH2, and didn't experience the crash.

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby n8henrie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:42 am

Thanks for looking into this!

Device type and firmware version:
n8henrie wrote:Remoter 3.6.3 on jailbroken iPhone 4 running 5.1.1

Type of SSH key: Any (tried all 3)

Machine to connect to: (both of these were working with Remoter previously, VNC over publickey SSH)
End goal is my Tomato Router.
Also testing with my 2009 unibody Macbook Pro running 10.8
n8henrie

Postby raf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:02 am

Did some research on this issue, seems to be a fairly common issue:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Did+not ... e&ie=UTF-8

Some of those links might help. It could be a server setup problem, firewall or other firewall-like system messing things up.

Not sure.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby n8henrie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:05 am

Yeah, I tried the standard Google tricks to try to work it out before posting (which is usually a last resort for me). No worries, I'll take a look at it again in a few days and post a solution if I run across it. Thanks again for looking.
n8henrie

Postby raf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 am

n8henrie wrote:Yeah, I tried the standard Google tricks to try to work it out before posting (which is usually a last resort for me). No worries, I'll take a look at it again in a few days and post a solution if I run across it. Thanks again for looking.

Have you tried restarting your iPhone? Seems something else is going on, since the SSH key manager is not working either. Maybe you're out of RAM?

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby n8henrie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:27 pm

No idea. Tried:
uninstall (delete app) -> clear out all running apps from multitasking -> reboot -> reinstall -> generate SSH key on fresh install
and it did the same thing (froze on "this may take a minute"). Don't worry about it, I was just hoping there was a hidden log file somewhere so I could see what was going on. If I figure it out, I'll update here.
n8henrie

Postby raf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 pm

There is a log file. But not much is logged during this particular process, so it wouldn't help... Please do let me know if you figure out what the problem is.

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support