Lock screen problem

Report your issues here

Re: Lock screen problem

Postby jspeciner » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 pm

raf wrote:Remoter's VNC engine wasn't updated with the last release, so I doubt that's the cause.
Please make sure you're using both your Mac's username and Mac's password in Remoter's "VNC Username" and "VNC Password" fields.
I know Apple has also released an update to their VNC server (3.6 I believe). Not sure if this is causing the new issue, or if this can resolve it. Please try running Software Update and see if the update is available for you.

Hope this helps,
Raf.

Raf... I've always been using the correct username and password - the app worked fine for months and months, and then out of the blue just stopped working at the login screen. Like Marmotta, I too have updated to 10.8 but the problem remains identically as it did before. I have no updates available, and I'm not sure how to verify which version of the VNC server my Mac is running. Are you aware of any way to log what is happening with the VNC server because the error message says that I've been disconnected by the server, but it'd be interesting to know if a log would tell me why.

Here's why I feel there is something going on with Remoter specifically. If I initiate a VNC connection from one Mac to another over a VPN and reach the log-in screen, everything works fine. If I attempt to do the same thing, initiating an VNC connection from the Remoter app to a Mac over a VPN, I get disconnected at the log-in screen.
jspeciner

Postby Marmotta » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:11 pm

With vine server the problem is solved and the connection is more, more, more faster than build-in vnc! Remotefusion not show any request and work good! The only problem is the necessity of vine to launch the application any time, and a necessity to have the server always in execution. Build-in vnc is more transparent...

P.s. At reboot remotefusion show a request to enable desktop sharing
Marmotta

Postby alexschomb » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:19 am

Actually the builtin ScreenSharing can be that responsive too. If I use the /System/Library/CoreServices/ScreenSharing.app (name may vary in different languages, e.g. in German it is called "Bildschirmfreigabe.app") and connect to the remote Mac everything works fast and reliable. There have to be some things in ScreenSharing that Remoter do not support yet. Currently I'm using the application mentioned above instead of Remoter to connect to other Macs, because running Vine Server too is no nice solution to me.
alexschomb

Postby jspeciner » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:49 pm

This is not the solution unfortunately, but I'm leaving it here to demonstrate that ARD 3.6 is not the problem.

Ok... Raf was right. The culprit here is ARD Client 3.6, which was an update released about two or three days prior to the Mountain Lion launch. Good news! ARD Client 3.5.3 (the previous version) works in ML (in addition to Lion) and you can easily obtain the pkg to install it. Keep in mind this is the ARD Client software I'm talking about, the one that makes screen sharing work on your Mac, not the ARD Admin app, which although I'm not sure, does other things. Here is what you need to do:

Follow the steps at the bottom of this Apple support article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2577#, under "To Remove Apple Remote Desktop." For safety's sake I just copied and pasted each command in and executed it.

Next, go here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1532 and Download ARD Client 3.5.3. Mount the image, install and enjoy.

No more lock screen disconnects!
Last edited by jspeciner on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jspeciner

Postby jspeciner » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 pm

jspeciner wrote:No more lock screen disconnects!

Actually I was wrong... I was able to test this initially by using the mobile connection on my iPhone, connecting to my VPN and then accessing the VNC share (a totally "remote" connection) - however, in order to put the display to sleep and access the lock screen I used the Control+Shift+Eject command on the Mac. When the display is put to sleep and the lock screen displayed from that command, the VNC share is not disconnected. But, when the display goes to sleep on it's own as it would normally, the problem remains.

At least we can cross one thing for sure, for sure off the list here... This problem is not caused by ARD 3.6, it is not the culprit.
jspeciner

Previous

Return to Support