[Resolved] - Disconnected...

Report your issues here

[Resolved] - Disconnected...

Postby neurofungus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:25 am

Hello.

Firstly, thank you for making such an awesome VNC. It's interface is clean and useful! Love it... buuut, I keep getting the error message:

Disconnected
Connection Timed Out

How can I resolve this? This keeps happening over and over. Normally, it wouldn't be much of an issue but I need it to work flawlessly because of a presentation that I will be controlling through this.

I am working on an iPad through my company's WiFi. The host computer is wired through ethernet cable. Everything is running with the latest updates.

Please help.
Thank you.
-D
neurofungus

Re: Disconnected...

Postby TalstoneDJ » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:44 am

I'm experiencing the same thing on my iPad. I can't connect and the app just times out. I can't get to any other feature of the app either. Any help would be appreciated.
TalstoneDJ

Postby neurofungus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:54 am

TalstoneDJ wrote:I'm experiencing the same thing on my iPad. I can't connect and the app just times out. I can't get to any other feature of the app either. Any help would be appreciated.

Is your host computer connected via ethernet? I had this connection problem with another VNC and as soon as I plugged it in, it saw the host and I was able to browse without a problem.
neurofungus

Postby Enkaytee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Are you ever getting a connection to the PC, or does it just not connect?
If you are never getting a connection, it could be that your IT department have restricted the wifi network such that VNC traffic isn't passed to the wired network - in our organisation, we restrict access quite heavily on certain wifi access points to maintain security. If you were to connect a laptop to your wireless, could you connect to the corporate network and interact with other workstations?
Enkaytee

Postby raf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi!,

The default heartbeat timeout value in Remoter 1.8 is set to 10sec. In version 1.81 (which will be released soon) it will be 20.
BUT you can just disable the heartbeat completely. Just go into settings, and change the setting
"Connection Heartbeat" from ON to OFF. Then tap on "Save".

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby neurofungus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Enkaytee wrote:Are you ever getting a connection to the PC, or does it just not connect?
If you are never getting a connection, it could be that your IT department have restricted the wifi network such that VNC traffic isn't passed to the wired network - in our organisation, we restrict access quite heavily on certain wifi access points to maintain security. If you were to connect a laptop to your wireless, could you connect to the corporate network and interact with other workstations?

I do connect to the PC, it controls it and does what I need it to do, for about 30-90 seconds (on average) then Disconnects. I spoke with our IT dept and although they do have a plan on restricting mobile devices from accessing the network, they don't yet. I am able to do pretty much anything else as far as apps are concerned.

I was using Mocha Lite on this same setup but that app does not let me "click" hyperlinks. I want to navigate a PowerPoint presentation and it (Mocha Lite) just clicks through slide after slide, not paying any mind to the hyperlinks.
neurofungus

Postby neurofungus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 pm

raf wrote:Hi!,

The default heartbeat timeout value in Remoter 1.8 is set to 10sec. In version 1.81 (which will be released soon) it will be 20.
BUT you can just disable the heartbeat completely. Just go into settings, and change the setting
"Connection Heartbeat" from ON to OFF. Then tap on "Save".

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!,

Raf.

What is the connection heartbeat? I have disabled it and will test it now. Is there a manual to all the options? Ex: External KB, Bounce Screen, etc? I don't quite know what these are.

Thanks!
neurofungus

Postby raf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:53 pm

neurofungus wrote:What is the connection heartbeat? I have disabled it and will test it now. Is there a manual to all the options? Ex: External KB, Bounce Screen, etc? I don't quite know what these are.

Thanks!

Yes there is, just tap the "Help" button at the top, right next to the settings icon.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby neurofungus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks Raf! That seems to have done the trick. What exactly is the purpose of the Heartbeat? Will the 1.81 version's adjustment to 20sec compensate for the "slow connections"?

Thanks!
neurofungus

Postby raf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 pm

neurofungus wrote:
Thanks Raf! That seems to have done the trick. What exactly is the purpose of the Heartbeat? Will the 1.81 version's adjustment to 20sec compensate for the "slow connections"?

Thanks!

I'm glad that helped. Versions < 1.8 used to have a heartbeat period of 45seconds, which was excessive in most cases.
By disabling the heartbeat you're not really losing anything. The only downside is that Remoter won't realize a connection is stalled, or lost in some cases. But this are special cases anyway.

Thanks,

Raf.

PS: The heartbeat is like a ping message Remoter sends the server every 5seconds, if no response is received after sending the heartbeat for 10sec (1.8, or 20sec in 1.81), then the connection is terminated by Remoter.
raf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support