[Resolved] - Disconnected...

Report your issues here

Re: Disconnected...

Postby neurofungus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:30 pm

raf wrote:
neurofungus wrote:
Thanks Raf! That seems to have done the trick. What exactly is the purpose of the Heartbeat? Will the 1.81 version's adjustment to 20sec compensate for the "slow connections"?

Thanks!

I'm glad that helped. Versions < 1.8 used to have a heartbeat period of 45seconds, which was excessive in most cases.
By disabling the heartbeat you're not really losing anything. The only downside is that Remoter won't realize a connection is stalled, or lost in some cases. But this are special cases anyway.

Thanks,

Raf.

So this really won't do anything for the actual losing connection? What would you suggest to keep the connection? A stronger/dedicated router?
PS: The heartbeat is like a ping message Remoter sends the server every 5seconds, if no response is received after sending the heartbeat for 10sec (1.8, or 20sec in 1.81), then the connection is terminated by Remoter.
neurofungus

Re: Disconnected...

Postby raf » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:47 pm

neurofungus wrote:So this really won't do anything for the actual losing connection? What would you suggest to keep the connection? A stronger/dedicated router?

Well, it might have the side-effect of keeping the connection alive, but that's not what it's meant for; and in my experience it doesn't really help much for that.
I don't know the details of your network topology, or why you have so much latency. I suggest you explain the situation to the IT department, they should be able to help. Maybe you need a closer wireless repeater access point? I couldn't tell you.
You can also try reducing the Color Depth in Remoter if you're connecting to a Windows/Linux box down to 8bpp (under the session settings, Advanced, Color Depth). This will reduce the bandwidth requirements of the VNC session. Not sure it will help you with the latency issues you have, but might help.

Raf.

PS: To clarify, you weren't losing the connection. Remoter was terminating it, because it was too slow and deemed unresponsive. Disabling the "heartbeat" WILL DEFINITELY prevent you from losing the connection in this case.
raf
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support