[solved] How to disconnect

Report your issues here

[solved] How to disconnect

Postby tonysawford » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:48 am

I'm probably being exceptionally thick, but I can't see a way to end a session - is there one?

Cheers,
Tony
tonysawford

Re: How to disconnect

Postby raf » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:58 pm

Nope. No explicit way to disconnect in any version of Remoter up until now. Version 1.6 will have a disconnect button.

The way it works is that when you switch from one session to a different one, it will disconnect from the first one automatically. Also, when you close the app, by clicking the Home button, the current session is disconnected. So really, there is no need for an explicit disconnect button. And I left it out of the design on purpose, for simplicity. But version 1.6 will support iOS 4+, and multitasking, so a close button will make more sense.

Thanks!

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Re: How to disconnect

Postby tonysawford » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:53 pm

OK - thanks for the explanation :)

Cheers,
Tony
tonysawford

Re: [solved] How to disconnect

Postby raf » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:57 pm

Actually, 1.6 will not have a disconnect button either.
When the Remoter is not the active application, it will disconnect from the current session. When it becomes active again, it will reconnect. So no need for a disconnect button.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby adspguy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Raf,
Thanks for the great support in Remoter. The program works fabulously on both my ipad and iphone 3gs. Excellent!

I would however like to have a disconnect session button. I know that you have been going back and forth on this and for good reason. But, here is why I think you should have this. I often use remoter to access a variety of systems, some that are mine, and some that are other folks machines who I support. When I have connected to one of their machines to fix something for them, and I am finished I would like to disconnect without having to start another session on one of my machines. I realize that the session disconnects when I switch applications and that mostly does what I want. However, when I go to use remoter the next time, it will reconnect to the other persons machine again, which can be troublesome. If I could disconnect before switching away from remoter, then I wouldn't have this problem, and I could just choose the next session. I like the way it disconnects and reconnects most of the time, since I may just switch away to get an email or phone call etc and it is nice to get back to where I was automatically. A disconnect button would allow me to say "I'm done with this session" even though I don't know what I want to do next, and it wouldn't interfere with the automatic restore of session which I also like.

Best regards
asdpguy
adspguy

Postby raf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:18 pm

OK, I understand your concern. And it's a very valid one. I'll add a disconnect button on 1.8.
In the mean time, you can try the following (granted, very cumbersome, but a work around until the disconnect button is there)
-Add a new session, but enter an invalid host. Call it "Disconnect". Just start this session when you're done.
An alternative:
-When done, close remoter by pressing the home button; then press home twice, and stop remoter from the multi-task bar.

Thanks for the feedback!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support