inadequate instructions for me [Setup with External IP Addr]

Report your issues here

inadequate instructions for me [Setup with External IP Addr]

Postby NatG » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:03 pm

I am not too bad technically. But I am unable to figure out how to log on to my iMac screen from outside my home network. Your "guide" is incomplete. I have a fixed IP address from my ISP. I know my internal IP address. I am sure this is easy, but your "session" setup screens do not have entries labeled in a way I understand or are able to tell from your "guide." System works beautifully from inside my home network.
NatG

Re: inadequate instructions for me

Postby raf » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Hi!,

If you have a static IP from your ISP, that certainly makes since easier. It is true the guides don't focus on your case, not many people have static IP addresses.
Please, create a new session, call it something like "Home iMac External" (For the Name entry), so you can tell it apart from the internal session. Under "Host Name:" enter your external (and static) IP address.
You still need to set up port forwarding in your router. And tell it to forward TCP port 5900 to TCP port 5900 for the IP address of your iMac (this is the internal IP address of your iMac in your LAN). If your router supports it, it will make things easier if you set the iMac IP address static as well. As an alternative, set up the IP address in your iMac manually, instead of using DHCP.

Hope this helps!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Re: inadequate instructions for me [Setup with External IP A

Postby NatG » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:59 pm

this was what I needed. Except one thing. After the static external IP address under "Host", I needed to add ":5900".
NatG

Re: inadequate instructions for me [Setup with External IP A

Postby raf » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:15 am

Great to hear you got this resolved. I'm working right now on the guides, and will be sure to make a note of this.

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support