[Solved - 1.9] app forgets password (...)

Report your issues here

[Solved - 1.9] app forgets password (...)

Postby jeffellenb » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:54 pm

I've noticed that remoter forgets the password for any connections using the advanced setting user name anytime the app is "completely" closed. As long as the app is running in the mult-tasking bar, it remembers. But as soon as you end the app completely (delete from bar), it forgets passwords for connections with a user name. Other connections that do not require a user name are not affected. So it seems it would only affect those of us connecting to an UltraVNC server with mslogon enabled.
jeffellenb

Re: app forgets password when using advanced user name field

Postby raf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:50 am

jeffellenb wrote:I've noticed that remoter forgets the password for any connections using the advanced setting user name anytime the app is "completely" closed. As long as the app is running in the mult-tasking bar, it remembers. But as soon as you end the app completely (delete from bar), it forgets passwords for connections with a user name. Other connections that do not require a user name are not affected. So it seems it would only affect those of us connecting to an UltraVNC server with mslogon enabled.

Very interesting finding, thank you!. I just attempted to recreate it, but I couldn't (that is, the password was saved correctly, even after killing and restarting Remoter). Could you post a screenshot of your settings?

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby jeffellenb » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:17 pm

all settings are default. I created a new connection, put in Name, Host Name, Password, clicked advanced, put in User Name and then did save. Everything else was left to default setting. Connection works as long as I dont kill the app from the multitasking bar. If I kill the app and relaunch, and try to use same saved connection, I get error message "Disconnected VNC authentication failed". If I go back to settings for the connection, the password has the ******* black dots in the field, but I have to delete those, retype, save, and then connection will work again.
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot connection settings basic and advanced
screenshot.png (180.16 KiB) Viewed 11011 times
jeffellenb

Postby raf » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:33 pm

jeffellenb wrote:all settings are default. I created a new connection, put in Name, Host Name, Password, clicked advanced, put in User Name and then did save. Everything else was left to default setting. Connection works as long as I dont kill the app from the multitasking bar. If I kill the app and relaunch, and try to use same saved connection, I get error message "Disconnected VNC authentication failed". If I go back to settings for the connection, the password has the ******* black dots in the field, but I have to delete those, retype, save, and then connection will work again.

I followed these steps, but still can't recreate it. But then again, I'm using version 1.8 (unreleased). I will try again with 1.7 and I'll let you know.
BTW, what kind of computer are you connecting to? VNC Server?

Thanks,

Raf.

UPDATE: tried on 1.7, and still can't get this to happen. I kill Remoter, go back in, and it happily connects to the session. Is anyone else ever come across this issue, and can shed some light on how to recreate?

Can you please try deleting remoter, and redownloading it? Maybe one of the settings file is corrupted, and can't be saved correctly.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Isthar » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:59 am

I wanted to ask for help on resolving this bug. App just purchased, on iPad. Indeed I have cases where I go to the app, click my session from the start screen and get told about auto problems, until i go to the password field, notice it's way longer than it should be (or that's by design) and delete and retype my password and then it works.

I can't say vie realized when it happens, but it might be what's being said - on app reload.
I might be getting app realoads inadvertently because there's also an annoying crash issue im getting... (when resuming from background mode)?

Might I suggest a new release w the option to be prompted to type the password each time? 1, more secure. 2, would workaround any password saving issues!

Thank you!
Isthar

Postby raf » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:59 am

Isthar wrote: Might I suggest a new release w the option to be prompted to type the password each time? 1, more secure. 2, would workaround any password saving issues!

Thank you!

Hi!,

If you into the sessions editor, and press on the "Advanced" button, there is an option called "Request Password", I believe this is what you want.

Hope that helps,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Isthar » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Sweet! Bug report still stands though... But with the request password feature I can ignore it.
Isthar

Postby raf » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Glad to hear. Still haven't been able to recreate the password problem, if you can also recreate at will (or anybody), please post the steps to recreate, also useful: device type (iphone 3g, iphone 4, ipad, ipod touch, etc), firmware version, etc.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Could one of you send me a PM with your password. I have an idea of what could be happening.
The password is not stored in plain text in the database file for security reasons. I believe that somehow on encryption your password is generating a character that somehow is not getting stored correctly.
If I could prove this theory, I could figure out why it happens and correct it, but for that I need a password that creates this situation.
I realize passwords are sensitive, so I understand if you're not willing to share. But if it's a password you don't mind replacing, please help me fix this problem.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Isthar » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey RAF - try md5sum(encryptedpwdmaybewithbadchar) or even uuencode(...)?
Isthar

Next

Return to Support