[Resolved] Any way to transfer files from desktop?

Report your issues here

[Resolved] Any way to transfer files from desktop?

Postby mtb2k » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:45 am

I accidentally purchased this app but after using it I'm happy I did. I don't know much about remote access but I can see the possibilities already.

I'd like to be able to transfer files from my computer to my iPod Touch using this app. For example, If I'm away from my home and I need a photo, resume or .doc file in general it would be really nice to transfer this file to my iPod while I'm connected remotely using this app. Any plans for this?
mtb2k

Re: Any way to transfer files from desktop?

Postby raf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 am

While some VNC servers provide extensions to the RFB protocol to support file transfer, it's not officially part of the protocol, and because of this, it's not standardized.
Then there's also the problem of accessing files in your iOS device; as each App has very limited access to the device's file system.

Maybe a better solution (and one that works right now) would be for you to use a service like DropBox. You can then install it on your Mac/Windows/Linux box, and on your iPhone/iPad. (It's free, unless you need more space).
Then combine that with Remoter, and you can drag any file on your computer into your DropBox, and then access it from your iPhone/iPad using the DropBox App.

That being said, I'm not opposed to adding support for this in the future, but it wouldn't work with all servers. This means, it will never work with the official Mac VNC server (screen sharing); but would work with Windows / Linux. I don't think it's worth it, as using DropBox (or an alternative, like MobileMe, etc) combined with Remoter already solves the problem.

Hope this helps!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Re: Any way to transfer files from desktop?

Postby mtb2k » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:36 am

Thanks a lot, this will work perfectly fine!
mtb2k

Return to Support