[Resolved] Wake-On-Lan

Report your issues here

[Resolved] Wake-On-Lan

Postby spinphd480 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:09 pm

First off, I love this app. You have done an excellent job designing it and are extremely responsive to all the new features and troubleshooting.

I am able to use the Ipad app successful to access my desktop on both LAN and WAN. While on LAN, I have also been able to initiate a Wake-on-LAN when my desktop is shutdown. However, I am unable to remotely initiate a Wake-on-LAN with Remoter VNC when I'm outside my network.

I have set up my router to recognize port 9, as stated and typed in my MAC address for the computer with the broadcast ID as 255.255.255.255. I have tested these settings with a third party Wake-on-LAN application from a remote laptop and it wakes my computer succesfully. However, when I copy this same data into Remote VNC and try a remote Wake-On-LAN, the magic packet doesn't seem to make its way to turn on my computer.

Is there any guidance as to what I may be doing incorrectly or a setting in my router that needs to be adjusted differently for Remoter VNC.

Thanks,
spinphd480

Re: Wake-On-Lan

Postby raf » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi!
When you're connecting from outside your LAN, for WoL you need to use the external MAC of your router in Remoter.
(this because the internal MAC of your machine is not available from the outside. I really can't wait for IPv6 to end all this router madness).

Raf
raf
Site Admin

Re: Wake-On-Lan

Postby raf » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:06 am

Oh, also, you need to enter the internal computer IP(the computer you want to connect to) in the Broadcast IP field for when doing WoL from the outside.
Hope this helps!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Re: [Resolved] Wake-On-Lan

Postby rdiggidy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:02 pm

I can't get this to work for me.

I've WOL from my LAN. And I can control the VNC from WAN. But I can't get the WOL to work from WAN.

As in your instructions I have the MAC set to the external address of my router and the Broadcast IP set as the computer I'm trying to wake's assigned IP address (192.168.0.XXX)? I have UDP 9 open.

What am I missing?
rdiggidy

Postby raf » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Please try this:
MAC: Your router external (WAN) MAC
IP: Your external IP address

Set up the router's port forwarding to forward
UDP port 9 to your LAN's computer IP address

Hope that helps,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby rdiggidy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I've done all that.

I have the routers (WAN) MAC address entered (and double checked).
I have the IP address set to my computers internal IP (double checked).

UDP Port 9 is forwarded to the IP of the computer I am trying to wake.

If the computer is already on I can control it via WAN using your app. But it just won't wake it.

I have a dynamic IP, so I use XXXXXXX.redirectme.net:5900, so I tried just entering my external IP address instead of the "redirectme" address. Still no luck.

Each time the app says "connecting" for several seconds, then says "disconnected - error connecting to Server" and the computer does not wake.

Any other thoughts? Don't think it should matter, but I have a Netgear DIR-655 router
rdiggidy

Postby raf » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:29 pm

OK,
Please try these settings then:
On Remoter:
MAC address: The computer you want to wake up MAC
Broadcast IP: Your external IP address

On the Router:
Port forward UDP port 9 to IP address 192.168.0.255 (or 192.168.1.255, modify to your actual network mask)

Let me know how if you get this to work, I'll add the correct way of setting this up to the FAQ page.

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby ignatz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:24 am

Raf:
I am new to Remoter but I can confirm that the instructions in your last post (WoL) work perfectly. Now I have the ability to WoL from both my home LAN and Internet (WAN). Thanks!
ignatz

Postby raf » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:05 am

ignatz wrote:Raf:
I am new to Remoter but I can confirm that the instructions in your last post (WoL) work perfectly. Now I have the ability to WoL from both my home LAN and Internet (WAN). Thanks!

Thank you ignatz for letting me know this works. I'll go ahead and update the FAQ/Guides!

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support