[Solved - 1.7] Setting server port on Remoter

Report your issues here

[Solved - 1.7] Setting server port on Remoter

Postby Paoleto » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:02 am

Hi Raf,
This app looks amazing! I've tested it by connecting to my desktop from my iPad and everything works fine, BUT I'm now in needs to set the server connecting port on Remoter to another than the default port (5900). For security reason the servers where I want login are using another port than the 'too obvious' standard one.
I've tried the 'standard' way normally used on other VNC Clients (I.e. Xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy) in Remoter, but it did not work.
Can you enlighten me please!!! :oops:
Paoleto
Paoleto

Re: Setting server port on Remoter

Postby raf » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:50 am

The "standard" VNC way of appending the port does work with Remoter.
Make sure you're adding the :XX to the hostname, not the session name.

If you append small numbers (ex: :10, that gets mapped to :5910; you can explicitly say :5910 as well).

Hope that helps,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Paoleto » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:05 am

Mmm
Unluckily my port is something like 40xx.
Any hints about how to set it?
Thanks!
Paoleto

Postby raf » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:47 am

Paoleto wrote:Mmm
Unluckily my port is something like 40xx.
Any hints about how to set it?
Thanks!

The way most VNC clients work, including Remoter is as follows:

hostname is of the form: hostname:desktop (if :desktop is not included, port 5900 is used)

if desktop is between 0 and 5899 (inclusive), the TCP port is 5900 + the desktop.

If you specify desktop :4000, then it will attempt a connection to port 9900.

If you want to use a non-standard port, it needs to be above 5900, and you can simply specify it as the desktop number.

Example, for port 6500, just say hostname:6500

Hope that helps!,

Raf.

PS: If your server HAS to be set to port 40xx, then set port forwarding to forward from port 6500(example) to port 40xx in your router setup.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Paoleto » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Indeed my server HAS to be set to 40xx port and your solution could be a workaround until I'm trying to connect to it under a LAN with a router under my control, but it stops working when I'll try to connect from the Internet via 3G.
Or am I wrong? Consider there are no router on servers side, just modems.
Do you think you'll consider to add this feature (port settings) in the future release of Remoter? Or it's something little bit hard to code down?
I think many users would appreciate that, and personally I'll be so happy to upload definitively 5 stars to Remoter in the AppStore!!! :lol:
Paoleto

Postby raf » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:10 pm

OK, I just did this:

now you will be able to specify the actual TCP port that is used, by prepending it with a '-'.
So for port 4500, you will have to set the hostname to:
hostname:-4500

I have a couple more small fixes, so I'll re-submit Remoter to Apple later tonight with this, and it will be part of v1.7.

Thanks,

Raf.

Edit: Corrected the port number typo
raf
Site Admin

Postby Paoleto » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:36 am

Thank you Raf!!!
I think this new feature will definitively solve my problem!
I look forward for the new release!
Thanks again, also for the great (and ultra-quick) support!
Paoleto

Re: [Solved - 1.7] Setting server port on Remoter

Postby raf » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:38 am

No problem. It was not a hard problem to solve on my side, and I'm glad to be able to help.
1.7 was re-submitted yesterday with this included. Should be out around next Sat.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby johnf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:32 pm

First of all, let me congratulate you for this software. I have tried many freebie VNC clients, and they are mediocre at best. Your client is SLICK and far less expensive that the paid competition!

Regarding the port issue, some of your competitors make it easy for the user by creating a field in the site configuration with the port, which defaults to a filled-in 5900. That seems the simplest to me.

If you're going to use the "-" syntax, the industry standard is to add it to 5900, so localhost:-5920 would connect to port 80 on the localhost. This is consistent with localhost:3 to connect to port 5903.

To specify the port number, use a double-colon. So localhost::80 would connect to port 80.

However you solve this, I encourage you to put it in the documentation.
johnf

Postby raf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've been thinking about this myself, trying to decide which is the easiest way to present, and prompt for this information, as it can be very confusing. Specially for people not familiar with VNC.
I'll try to come up with a good solution in the next version. And I'll be sure to update the documentation.

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support