Dvorak keyboard layout vs. Qwerty

Report your issues here

Dvorak keyboard layout vs. Qwerty

Postby jehrler » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:13 am

Remoter v4.6.26 on iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.1.3 and also Remoter 1.6.20 on MacBook Air running 10.10.2

I'm using VNC with Remoter to connect to my Macs but have run into an issue. I use the Dvorak layout on Mac OS X (Yosemite) and, unlike with Apple Screen sharing, when my local MacBook Air is set to Dvorak and I connect to my Mac mini with it's keyboard layout setting set to Dvorak what I type comes out as neither Dvorak or Qwerty output, but rather a hybrid that is useless. For example, if I type the key labeled "d" on my MacBook Air, that should produce an "e" in Dvorak. However, on the remote computer it comes out as a period "." This is what one would get if you typed the key labeled "e" on your computer with it set to Dvorak.

To sum if the MacBook Air is set to Dvorak and sends an "e" and if the remote computer is also set to Dvorak it sees an inbound "e" but converts that from an "e" to what the "e" key is in Dvorak which is a period. There is a double conversion.

This is not an issue when using Apple's screen sharing.

To get around this you have to change the keyboard layout on the remote computer to Qwerty.

Similarly, if using Remoter on my iPad to access one of my computers, if the layout on the remote computer is set to Dvorak then the Qwerty letters I type on the iPad get converted to the Dvorak equivalents.

This is not the way other VNC clients work nor Apple's screen sharing. The remote computer accepts the letters typed on the Qwerty keyboard on the iPad/iPhone as typed. Likewise, the remote computer accepts the letters typed on the Dvorak MacBook Air keyboard as typed. In both cases there is no remote conversion of the typed characters.
jehrler

Re: Dvorak keyboard layout vs. Qwerty

Postby jehrler » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 pm

It would be helpful.
jehrler

Postby raf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:28 am

jehrler wrote:Remoter v4.6.26 on iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.1.3 and also Remoter 1.6.20 on MacBook Air running 10.10.2

I'm using VNC with Remoter to connect to my Macs but have run into an issue. I use the Dvorak layout on Mac OS X (Yosemite) and, unlike with Apple Screen sharing, when my local MacBook Air is set to Dvorak and I connect to my Mac mini with it's keyboard layout setting set to Dvorak what I type comes out as neither Dvorak or Qwerty output, but rather a hybrid that is useless. For example, if I type the key labeled "d" on my MacBook Air, that should produce an "e" in Dvorak. However, on the remote computer it comes out as a period "." This is what one would get if you typed the key labeled "e" on your computer with it set to Dvorak.

To sum if the MacBook Air is set to Dvorak and sends an "e" and if the remote computer is also set to Dvorak it sees an inbound "e" but converts that from an "e" to what the "e" key is in Dvorak which is a period. There is a double conversion.

This is not an issue when using Apple's screen sharing.

To get around this you have to change the keyboard layout on the remote computer to Qwerty.

Similarly, if using Remoter on my iPad to access one of my computers, if the layout on the remote computer is set to Dvorak then the Qwerty letters I type on the iPad get converted to the Dvorak equivalents.

This is not the way other VNC clients work nor Apple's screen sharing. The remote computer accepts the letters typed on the Qwerty keyboard on the iPad/iPhone as typed. Likewise, the remote computer accepts the letters typed on the Dvorak MacBook Air keyboard as typed. In both cases there is no remote conversion of the typed characters.

Hi, unfortunately Apple's screen sharing protocol changes over RFB 3.8 are not open, and using the standard VNC events to send characters from Mac's is not as straight-forward as one would expect. To resolve this, Remoter includes a keyboard mapping feature in the "Remoter Config" screen. It's under "Keyboard Settings" and it's called "Mode". By default, it's in "United States" English mode. You can try "Direct" instead. If this doesn't work I think I'll have to create a Dvorak layout file; shouldn't be too hard. But believe it or not, this has not been requested before, so I suspect "Direct" might resolve the issue.
If direct doesn't work, and you're willing to help, I can explain how to create a keyboard layout file. Otherwise I'll do asap.

Thanks for your question, and sorry for the delay!

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby jehrler » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:16 am

I had seen the direct option but it didn't fix the problem.

If it is a hassle and no one has reported it then it's fine. I just thought I missed something.
jehrler

Return to Support