VNC over SSH to WinXP running cgywin

Report your issues here

VNC over SSH to WinXP running cgywin

Postby TomStiller » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:00 pm

I have a Windows XP box running cgywin and SSH with public key encryption only.
I can connect to the WinXP box from my iMac (Terminal.app) and from my iPad2 (Prompt) with no problem.
I can connect to several other VNC servers using Remoter VNC using VNC over SSH.
I can connect to the WinXP VNC server from my iMac using JollysFastVNC.

I _cannot_ connect to the WinXP VNC server from my iPad2 using Remoter VNC. The SSH tunnel gets established and then the connection fails saying there is no port on the server. I have checked the configuration data for the WinXP box several times and it is the same as for all the other machines (except for IP address).

Does anyone know of a way to monitor what's happening on the WinXP box so I can determine what's failing in the WinXP side?

Thanks.
TomStiller

Re: VNC over SSH to WinXP running cgywin

Postby raf » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:05 pm

I might be able to help if you post a couple of screenshots for me. Please post your session editor screen, and the error message you're getting (if you prefer, DM me the screenshots).

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby TomStiller » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:21 am

Error logs on the WinXP system show the the SSH tunnel is established but the connection to port 5900 failed.

I've attached screen shots from the iPad and the error log from the WinXP system.

I noticed that the Advanced settings do not have the MAC address filled in whereas my other configurations do. The WinXP machine is a dual boot with a Ubuntu Linux system. Remoter VNV connects successfully to the Linux system; could a "duplicate" MAC address be the problem?
Attachments
Archive.zip
Various screenshots
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 432 times
TomStiller

Postby raf » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Tom,
The MAC Address is only used for WoL, so that is not the problem. If your SSH and VNC servers are the same machine, please try replacing the VNC Hostname in Remoter to "localhost". If not, please try using the VNC server IP address instead of the hostname.

I'm going to review the archive, and will post more info..

Raf.

Update: I see both the VNC and SSH servers are the same machine. Please try replacing the VNC Hostname with either "localhost" or "127.0.0.1"; also, could you post a screenshot of the error Remoter displays? Thanks.
raf
Site Admin

Postby TomStiller » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:02 am

Replacing the VNC Hostname with "localhost" worked. Thank you.

Sorry, I picked the wrong image and missed the screenshot of the of the error Remoter screen when I zipped the others. Here it is.

Thanks again for your prompt and "on target" help.

Tom Stiller
Attachments
photo.PNG
photo.PNG (760 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
TomStiller

Postby raf » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:07 am

Great to hear you got it working!, thanks for letting me know.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support