Cant connect outside of LAN

Report your issues here

Re: Cant connect outside of LAN

Postby raf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:41 pm

I don't own an AirPort Extreme. But maybe I can find more up-to-date information for you if you let me know the software/firmware version number.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby PL8STLR » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:33 pm

it is an Airport Extreme 802.11n (3rd generation) with version 7.5.2. And, as I wrote before, using an iMac OS 10.6.6. I did find some newer Airport Extreme instruction but because of firmware changes the configuration didn't match the instructions for the earlier firmware.
Thanks.
PL8STLR

Postby PL8STLR » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:35 pm

I meant the instructions found on line for the newer Extreme didn't match mine because I have a newer firmware and all this stuff is alien to me-so if it doesn't closely resemble the instructions . . . I am lost.
PL8STLR

Postby raf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Can someone that has an Airport Extreme help us here?
I did some searches and came up empty. I did find this thread though, where the OP argues f/w 7.5.2 broke port forwarding for him:
http://www.mactalk.com.au/28/100255-por ... -gone.html

Raf
raf
Site Admin

Postby danworks » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:59 am

Hi there,

I've followed … at least that's what I think I did, all the useful info you gave to everyone here, but there's no way for me to connect on my MacBook or MacPro outside LAN, either fm WiFi or 3G, which is what i really need to do.

Sometimes I leave my working machine on in studio cos when I'm out to another studio I may need to collect some "last min" edited stuff, and If I could connect and do it by myself without involving my partners fm my studio, it would be just amazing. Is it possible?

My router is a Netgear DG834G v4, on youtube I've found a lot of info about opening a 5900 port in it. I think I did it but again, I'm not sure cos most of the times every company-brand use a slightly different terminology so when I read (for example) on VNC "BROADCAST IP" and on the Netgear there's nothing labeled that way, believe me, it's a huge pita! :shock: :)

Anyway, if whenever it's possible for you, if you could help me to setup this VNC, I'll send you the original "pesto sauce recipe", directly fm the pesto and Columbus hometown, Genova - Italy ;) Thank you

P.S.
Do I need to upgrade to the full VNC? Please let me know …
danworks

Postby raf » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:12 pm

No, you don't need to upgrade to Remoter Complete.
Just open port 5900 in your router, and direct it towards your Mac.

One awesome tool you can try instead of messing with your laptop is "Port Mapper", you can find it here: http://www.codingmonkeys.de/portmap/

Make sure to set it to Open at Login, and to add a new mapping. The preset "VNC" is enough for most uses.

The broadcast IP advanced Remoter setting is only for WoL, and you shouldn't need it unless you want to use that feature.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby danworks » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:17 pm

raf wrote:No, you don't need to upgrade to Remoter Complete.

And then I'll be able to reach my mac via 3G too?

Thanks for your answer Raf, I'll try until I'll make it and if I'll be in any difficulty I'll continue to ask for help in this forum. I know it sounds like a menace but it's not :)

ciao
danworks

Postby raf » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:40 pm

danworks wrote:
raf wrote:No, you don't need to upgrade to Remoter Complete.

And then I'll be able to reach my mac via 3G too?

Thanks for your answer Raf, I'll try until I'll make it and if I'll be in any difficulty I'll continue to ask for help in this forum. I know it sounds like a menace but it's not :)

ciao

Correct!, once the router is set up (manually or via port mapper), you will be able to access your Mac from anywhere.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby danworks » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 am

I did it :mrgreen:

I've to tell you though, with all possible respect, that the instructions for dummies like myself aren't really self explanatory. Maybe I didn't read everything or maybe I did it and I've got frustrated so, cos at the end is a very simple thing to do, I'll try to say it using newbies language ;)

1- you must know that to remote outside the LAN or within the LAN, you got to create two different presets. The same one it won't work … at least here in Italy

2- for outside LAN you need to open a port 5900 :shock: … what?
The problem is about semantic. On my NetGear I had to open the port 5900 fm a menu called UPnP. But then I've found instruction on YouTube related to Netgear routers where the port is opened fm a menu labeled Port Forwarding. That's one of the main reason while I was going nuts! The latest Raf suggestion was the simplest one: download this app http://www.codingmonkeys.de/portmap, use it to open the port 5900 and forget about synonym routers labeling damn names.

3- in the "within LAN" preset, on the "VNC Hostname" we write the computer IP address, but to remote outside LAN that IP is useless. You must insert the personal IP http://www.whatismyip.com/, otherwise it would never work.

Very easy to do … when you know how to do it :)

Now next query:
to have a safe remote connection (password n stuff), what do I need to do? Get the full version?

Thanks a lot Raf

ciao
danworks

Postby raf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:36 am

Great to hear!!

About your question: Your password is sent encrypted across the network, but then all traffic is sent not encrypted. If you're worried about security of your connection, you can get either Remoter Complete or the SSH add-on, and you'll be able to tunnel VNC over SSH.
But this step will require you to understand a bit about SSH. Install an SSH server (Mac includes one, but Windows doesn't). And change your port forwarding from port 5900(vnc) to 22(ssh).
But once you're running via SSH, all traffic is encrypted, and it's very secure.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Support