CenturyLink with Actiontec C1000A Modem

Report your issues here

CenturyLink with Actiontec C1000A Modem

Postby rpoland » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 pm

I find it hard to believe that I'm apparently the only one that is having problems connecting.
AND others are able to connect with no problems.
Is it possible that I'm the only one using CenturyLink with the Actiontec C1000A Modem?
HELP!
rpoland

Re: CenturyLink with Actiontec C1000A Modem

Postby alexschomb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey rpoland,

I guess you're referring to your other topic here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3192

Although I don't know exactly how Raf is developing Remoter I expect him to be right when he says that this has something to do with a possible double-NAT setup on your end. How did you configure your AirPort that sits behind the Actiontec Modem? The name of the device is a bit misleading as it is not only a modem but also a router itself. Your AirPort Extreme needs to configured as a WiFi AccessPoint. Also the following article might help you: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4199?viewlocale=en_US

Merry Christmas and Good Luck,

Alex
alexschomb

Postby rpoland » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks Alex,

I for to mention on the forum that I have removed the Airport Express and now just trying to connect with the Actiontec Modem. CenturyLink and Actiontec either don't want to help or incapable at this point. I have made many calls.
rpoland

Postby alexschomb » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:04 am

Interesting. I guess you tried connecting to a local PC via VNC already? If not I'd recommend you installing a VNC server (TightVNC, RealVNC, ..) on a PC in your LAN for testing purposes and try to connect to this PC via Remoter. In any way this should definitely work. If it doesn't please check the software firewall of the PC and allow access to the port 5900 for the VNC server application/service.

The next step would be making sure if it is possible to connect to this local PC from remote. The easiest way to do this is setting up a port forwarding for the VNC port (5900 TCP) to the local IP address of the PC in the Actiontec webinterface. Then you should be able to connect to the PC with the current external IP address (find it out here) of the Actiontec device utilizing the port forwarding you just set up. In case this wouldn't work there is high probability that the problem is with the Actiontec router. A likely cause might be the software firewall of the router. Let me know when you're there and I'll try to find out more about the setup.

Merry XMAS,

Alex
alexschomb

Postby rpoland » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:20 pm

I thought this subject was dead so I wasn't watching it anymore.

The Problem is that the Actiontec C1000a modem doesn't allow "Loop Back". In other words you can't access a computer on the same network. So to test it I needed to be on another network.
Bottom line;
To access a computer on my network I need to be in the LAN mode.
To access a computer on another network I need to be in the Router mode. Bit of a nuisance.

Current setup uses the Actiontec modem for a modem then I use an Apple Extreme for the router.

Everything works now.
rpoland

Postby alexschomb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:45 pm

I agree this is very unfortunate and that the best solution would be indeed to use the Actiontec as a modem only. I'm glad it works that way :)
alexschomb

Return to Support