Can't login to OSX computer

Report your issues here

Can't login to OSX computer

Postby jmpreston » Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm

I can type my password into the Mac login but it never recognizes it. I'm traveling and with 3G and high latency, like 200ms, it makes sense that the login isn't recognized. However I'm on WiFi at a Las Vegas hotel this evening with only 22ms latency and it still won't login.

Snow Leopard o/s. iPad.

Any ideas?

Jim
jmpreston

Re: Can't login to OSX computer

Postby raf » Wed May 18, 2011 11:39 am

200ms latency shouldn't be a problem. How did you setup your Mac/Remoter so you can connect from the internet?

BTW, in a kind-of-related note, the new version of Remoter (which I'm planning on submitting to Apple today) will support Apple's native ARD authentication mechanism. This means you will be able to use your Mac's credentials (username/password) instead of a VNC password.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby jmpreston » Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 am

I don't remember how the Mac was setup but I tested remotely and I was able to do change settings in software and use Outlook email. However the Mac was already logged in during the tests. I needed to reboot my Mac while traveling far from my office and it won't accept my computer login password. Same pw I've used since Win 3.1 and my accounts on all my computers on my LAN so I'm not forgetting my pw.

When I type in the pw the Mac login acts like I'm using an incorrect pw. It displays my pw hint. I've tried direct and US for the keyboard input in the app but no help.

My app in the App Store gets approvals in a few hours. Hope yours does also.
jmpreston

Postby raf » Mon May 23, 2011 11:16 am

jmpreston wrote:I don't remember how the Mac was setup but I tested remotely and I was able to do change settings in software and use Outlook email. However the Mac was already logged in during the tests. I needed to reboot my Mac while traveling far from my office and it won't accept my computer login password. Same pw I've used since Win 3.1 and my accounts on all my computers on my LAN so I'm not forgetting my pw.

When I type in the pw the Mac login acts like I'm using an incorrect pw. It displays my pw hint. I've tried direct and US for the keyboard input in the app but no help.

Ahh, so you're connecting to your Mac. But you suspect the input entry to be having a problem, since you can't login into your account. Another user noticed some problems if his physical keyboard (the kb connected to his mac) had the caps-lock on, that Remoter would not be able to send lower case characters. Itried to recreate the problem, and had mixed results. Seems the Mac's VNC server is a bit inconsistent here. Don't know if this is related, though.

My app in the App Store gets approvals in a few hours. Hope yours does also.

That would be nice. Rarely I've been approved the same day. It usually takes longer; just for them to start reviewing.
Usually it's in the "Waiting for Review" state for 5-7 days, then goes to "In Review", and then (usually) gets approved the same day.
raf
Site Admin

Postby jmpreston » Mon May 23, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm trying to login to a new Mac Mini with my IPad 2.

No caps lock issue.

I've tried dozens of times in the past week with no success. After typing my pw I've tried both the keyboard Enter and tapping the Mac Login. I've tried 3G and various WiFi's.

It seems like the wrong characters are being sent to the Mac. However, an iOS app to a Mac shouldn't have that problem.

I've done nothing special to the Mac for security since I know little about OSX.

If the Mac is already logged in then your app works as described so I assume I have both the app and the Mac configured correctly.

I'm 1,000 miles / 1,600 km from my office so nothing I can do on the Mac now.
jmpreston

Postby raf » Tue May 24, 2011 12:22 am

jmpreston wrote:I'm trying to login to a new Mac Mini with my IPad 2.

No caps lock issue.

I've tried dozens of times in the past week with no success. After typing my pw I've tried both the keyboard Enter and tapping the Mac Login. I've tried 3G and various WiFi's.

It seems like the wrong characters are being sent to the Mac. However, an iOS app to a Mac shouldn't have that problem.

I've done nothing special to the Mac for security since I know little about OSX.

If the Mac is already logged in then your app works as described so I assume I have both the app and the Mac configured correctly.

I'm 1,000 miles / 1,600 km from my office so nothing I can do on the Mac now.

I'm not sure what's going on. I can log in into my Macs with Remoter no problem, and my password combines letters/numbers/etc. And this is the first I hear of this kind of problem. If anybody else is/has having/had this problem, please share what you know.

The only thing I can think of that might help you would be to borrow someones computer to VNC to your Mac so that you can get past the initial login screen. (Any Mac will work, just use screen sharing. If it's windows, you can get a VNC client like tightvnc/ultravnc to initiate the connection).
raf
Site Admin

Postby jmpreston » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Raf,

I think I found the problem when I tried to login when I arrived back at my office today. The keyboard caps lock was on. This is the keyboard for the host machine, not my iPad. When I turned it off I was able to use Remoter VNC to log into my Mac - twice.

I have no clue why the host computer keyboard status would be an issue but this is the only action I did so there were no other possibilities.

Jim
jmpreston

Postby raf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks for letting me know, jim. Another user also reported the same issue. I'm going to have to look more into it to see what I can do on Remoter's end to have the Mac ignore the keyboard's caps lock. It just shouldn't look at that.
I've been hearing a lot about OS X Lion having an updated version of Screen Sharing. I wonder if they've corrected this.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support