Crash on Startup (Remoter 2.02) UPDATE

Report your issues here

Crash on Startup (Remoter 2.02) UPDATE

Postby raf » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Alright, thanks to MJ's help, I believe I now understand the problem, and have it fixed for the next version.

-The problem happens during startup. Remoter queries the network using Bonjour and NetBIOS. Usually, all computers report with their IPv4 IP address, along with other data. Sometimes they also provide an IPv6 address. This is OK, and Remoter just ignores the IPv6 address.
-The problem is when a computer reports the IPv6 IP only!. This is not handled correctly by Remoter 2.02; causing it to close down.
-The problem only happens when using WiFi

Work-Arounds until the next version is released (I'm going to fast-track it; but it still may take a two-three weeks before it's out)
-Disable WiFi, start Remoter. Then re-enable WiFi. (This only needs to be done once. Or when the device is restarted, or remoter crashes or is manually closed from the multi-tasking bar)
-Identify the computer on the network that is sending the IPv6 address; and configure it to not use IPv6
-Other ideas?

Please report on your results here.

Thanks for your support,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Re: Crash on Startup (Remoter 2.02) UPDATE

Postby ignatz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:46 am

Raf: I don't have this problem but I wanted to tell you how impressed I am with the support you continue to provide for Remoter and your customers. Not only does Remoter rock the "remote" world - and getting better all the time - but it's greatest asset is you - your skill and knowledge, your work ethic, and your ability to listen (agree - disagree - and challenge) to your customers.
Don't ever lose that spark - it's the way it should be.
ignatz

Postby teej » Fri May 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Hello Raf,

not sure whether it is exactly the same problem,but my iPad2 (FW 4.3.3) has issues, too. The first time I start your App, it shows the startup screen (the one saying "Create Your First Session"), but seems to be frozen, it does not react to any user input. If I press the home button and then try to relaunch it from the multitasking bar, it crashes (I have seen crash reports being sent to Apple while synching). If instead I wait long enough, it becomes responsive after a while. If I then try to add a session, it displays the found computers (the "Pick Your Computer" window), but freezes again for a long time.

Your workaround (disabling WiFi) is also working in this case. It clearly looks like a timeout issue to me. I did however check with BonjourBrowser and there is no host with only an IPv6 address listed. The iPad and the Mac find two Macs and Bonjour Browser sees both with IPv4 and IPv6 addresses announced.

Some additional remarks: Once I had added a session using the "Wifi Off" tip, I seemed to work. I then deleted this session and closed the app from the multitasking bar trying to reproduce the problem for this report from scratch. It seems however that once one has a session, even if it is deleted, it is still somehow there (including the password working) next time the app starts (seems like another mini-bug), although the screen remains frozen for a long timeout as explained above. After that the "deleted" session connects and is usable !?
The crash described above does not close the app, it is still in the multitasking bar, may there is just a subprocess crashing.

Regards
teej
teej

Postby raf » Fri May 13, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi teej,

This problem has been corrected in the code, and will be included in the next release (which I'm planning on finishing up this weekend).

The problem is not so much that the host has IPv6 only, but that the hostname resolution responds with the IPv6 information before it provides the IPv4 information. It seems that some Macs specially do this.
You can disable IPv6 on your Mac as a work around:
Go to System Preferences - Network - Click on the padlock to allow changes - Select your interface, and click Advanced -
Under Advanced: Select TCP/IP - Set Configure IPv6 to Off.

I'll attempt to re-create the second issue you describe. This is the first time I hear about it. Thanks!

Thank you,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby rpretzlaw » Thu May 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Raf,

Just installed Ultr@VNC Server service (newest version). Whenever I open the property page on my PC for adim properties, I cannot apply the ports to a specific port or set it to auto (the program doesn't respond after clicking apply). Any ideas?
rpretzlaw

Postby raf » Thu May 19, 2011 5:09 pm

rpretzlaw,

What version of UltraVNC are you using? 1.0.8.2 is recommended for Remoter 2.02.
raf
Site Admin

Postby rpretzlaw » Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 pm

Correct 1.0.8.2. I have some colleagues who were able to install and use the service without the same problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times with no success.
Last edited by rpretzlaw on Wed May 25, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpretzlaw

Postby raf » Wed May 25, 2011 4:46 pm

rpretzlaw - I don't know what the problem with your UltraVNC installation is; I haven't seen this problem. Some tips that might help:

-Try uninstalling ultraVNC completely. Reboot. Then reinstall again. This will make sure you're starting fresh.
-Try installing using the administrator account
-Try another version of UltraVNC. For Remoter VNC 2.02, I recommend 1.0.8.2; mainly because that's the version that was used for testing during development. But you might have better luck with a newer version. (Remoter 2.4 adds support for 1.0.9.6).
-If all else fails. Maybe you can find more info over at the UltraVNC forums for 1.0.8.x: http://forum.ultravnc.info/viewforum.ph ... 351abaeecb
-Still having problems? Then I suggest uninstalling UltraVNC, and trying TightVNC at this point. Be sure to use version 1.3.10.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support