Crash On Startup (v2.02)

Report your issues here

Crash On Startup (v2.02)

Postby Ckrimmel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:09 am

I have an iPad 2 with your Remoter VNC application running the latest iOS. I performed your last update and the program has since crashed on startup, everytime. When your application crashes it appears to still be running in the background. When you attempt to relaunch it from the background process, shown in the multitasking bar, it again closes immediately after flashing the applications landing screen.

I have tried reinstalling the application, restarting the device, as well as completely removing the pplication from the device through iTunes. I've witheld reporting this issue as I assumed it would be more wide spread then my system, but, the lack of posts on the zuport forums regarding this suggest otherwise. I am running the latest iOS and the latest version of this application.

Thank you for your help.
Ckrimmel

Re: Crash On Startup

Postby raf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 am

Hi Ckrimmel,
This is the first I hear of a problem like what you're describing with Remoter 2.02. It would have never passed Apple's review if Remoter crashed like that for everybody.
As you already have attempted re-installing Remoter, the only thing I can think of is that maybe your iPad is in some bad state. Maybe some other apps are using up too much memory, and there is not enough for Remoter to start.
Could you please try doing a hard reboot of your iPad, to see if that helps? I'm sure you know how, but in case other people need to know: Hold the power button until you see the "slide to power off" slider. Slide it, and wait for the device to completely turn off. Then hold the power button again briefly (for a couple of seconds) to restart the device.

Let me know if this helps!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:00 am

I've re-read your post. Seems you've deleted the app from iTunes, and also tried re-installing. If restarting your device doesn't help, could you try removing the app from the iPad (by tapping and holding on the app's icon, then tapping on the X), and then re-installing? This will help in the case, for some reason, a configuration file is corrupted.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Ckrimmel » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks for getting back to me. I did a hard reboot, that did not work. I had previously removed the application from the iPad by pressing and holding the application icon and pressing the "X" to delete it, then reinstalling; with no success. I'm on the road tomorrow and really need things working so I did a restore and then reinstated a backup on the iPad and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Thank you for your response. I will keep you posted if I have any other problems. Thank you again!
Ckrimmel

Postby raf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 am

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Please report.
Thanks!

Edit: I just checked with Apple. And as of now there are 0 crash reports for version 2.02 (crash reports are reported automatically). This leads me to believe that maybe it's not that Remoter is crashing, but it's been closed by the OS. Or maybe the crash reports just haven't been sent to Apple yet.
raf
Site Admin

Postby ask1001 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 pm

I am now having this error, and i have tried all of the above, full restore and everything. I have a 64GB wifi only fully updated ipad 2 and remoter VNC crashes on start up every time.
ask1001

Postby raf » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:58 am

Hi, if there is file corruption causing this problem, then a full restore won't help, as the corrupted files will be restored along with the application.
I successfully helped a user recover from this by having him completely remove Remoter from his device (by holding on the icon until he got the x, then tapping the x). Then having him reboot the device, and finally, he went into the App Store (from his device), and re-downloaded Remoter. It started correctly after that.

Unfortunately, whatever is happening, I havent been able to recreate, and Apple is still reporting 0 crash reports for version 2.02. Meaning this is not really a crash, but rather: -either remoter closing on it's own, or iOS closing it.

I'm changing the way sessions are saved completely, so if that's whats causing this problem, it will be resolved on the next version.

Thanks!,

raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby M.J » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 pm

I have also problems with Remoter after its update. I use iPhone 3gs. If wi-fi is on, the app shows its initial screen for a while and closes. With 3G all is ok.

Reinstalling, hard reset - did not help.
M.J

Postby raf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 pm

That's a new data-point. Thanks. Unfortunately I can't recreate, and I know Remoter is not crashing, as Apple is showing Remoter 2.02 having 0 reported crashes among all supported firmware versions.

I'll try this afternoon with a 3GS I have and WiFi to see if I can recreate.
Any other info you can share about your device:
-Firmware Version
-Jailbroken
-etc

thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby M.J » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:16 pm

raf wrote:That's a new data-point. Thanks. Unfortunately I can't recreate, and I know Remoter is not crashing, as Apple is showing Remoter 2.02 having 0 reported crashes among all supported firmware versions.

I'll try this afternoon with a 3GS I have and WiFi to see if I can recreate.
Any other info you can share about your device:
-Firmware Version
-Jailbroken
-etc

thanks,

Raf.

More precisely: Remoter doesn't crash, it goes to the background. After recall the app does it again in a little second. No problem it wi-fi is off.

Firmware - 4.3.2 (the newest, but previous version was also affected). No jailbreak. 16GB version.
M.J

Next

Return to Support