Issues connecting over 3g

Report your issues here

Issues connecting over 3g

Postby mal001 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:02 pm

I'm able to connect using my internal static IP when I'm inside the router using wifi but when I'm at work using 3g I try to connect to the router's outside IP and I get a message saying it can't connect and it gives several reasons. One of the reasons if that I may be trying to connect using a 3g connection. Won't this work over 3g?

Thanks.
mal001

Re: Issues connecting over 3g

Postby raf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:42 pm

It does work via 3G. The message reads "Unable to Connect to Server. This usually indicates the computer is not reachable in the current network. Like when trying to access a private server directly while in 3G. Or the server is simply unreachable because it's offline, or it's IP address has changed."

This implies you're attempting to connect to your private IP/hostname while on 3G. You will need to use your public IP address, and open port 5900 on your router, so it will allow the connection.

The guides might be of more help: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Re: Issues connecting over 3g

Postby wsscott » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:56 am

I have a similar problem trying to connect using 3G. I can connect to my office computer outside of the LAN, and over my home's wi-fi for example. Its quick and no problems. But when I tried to connect this morning where no wi-fi was available using 3g through my phone's hotspot I got the error message described above. My port forwarding on my office router is setup to connect to my office computer. Solutions?
wsscott

Return to Support