Use as a monitor

Report your issues here

Use as a monitor

Postby jameshenderson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 am

Hello,

I just bought this app, and it's great! :D

However I would also like to use it as a "repeater" monitor - my mac mini uses my TV as it's main display but sometimes I need something a little closer (my ipad). But in this case I still want to use my bluetooth keyboard and trackpad.

Is it therefore possible to:
View the mouse when it is moved by my trackpad?
keep the iPad from switching off whilst in this app?

Regards,
James.
jameshenderson

Re: Use as a monitor

Postby raf » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:26 pm

The support of moving the local mouse cursor as the remote moves was disabled in current builds of Remoter, as it made the cursor movement very jerky. But I guess I could allow the user to enable this via a Config option. I'll add this to trac (trac.rafsoftware.com)
Regarding a way to prevent the iPad from switching off, under iPad Settings, General, Set the Auto-Lock setting to Never. This will keep the iPad on all the time.

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm

OK, Remote Pointer Update will now be in Remoter V1.9.
Unfortunately this needs to also be supported by the VNC server, and some VNC servers don't send this message. Notably the Mac VNC server.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby jameshenderson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:26 am

Hi,

That's great - thanks!

...ref the not switching off - I only want to not switch off in this app (not for all apps) as I want to not waste power, but when using your app as a display, I don't touch the screen and it powers off. I have other apps that can disable this as long as that app is running (although I have no clue how). An example of this is Nightstand.

Regards,
James.
jameshenderson

Postby raf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:29 am

I can take a look into that. I'll let you know if I find out how to do it.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:34 am

OK, added a ticket for doing this: http://trac.rafsoftware.com/index.fcgi/ticket/57
Expect this in 1.9 as well.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Lori » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:59 am

Hello,

I'm also attempting to use my iPad2 as a monitor for my iBook G4 running OS 10.5.8 because my backlight has, apparently, decided to quit working. I do most of my computing on my iPad now, but sometimes it's really better for me to use my laptop. I figured using my iPad for a monitor was a good solution since I don't want to buy a new laptop! ;)

Anyway, I don't see the cursor even with the option enabled, so I just wanted to confirm that this is due to the built-in VNC with the Mac OS not supporting it and not because I'm missing something.

Thanks! Great program, by the way!
Lori

Postby raf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:12 am

Lori wrote:Hello,

I'm also attempting to use my iPad2 as a monitor for my iBook G4 running OS 10.5.8 because my backlight has, apparently, decided to quit working. I do most of my computing on my iPad now, but sometimes it's really better for me to use my laptop. I figured using my iPad for a monitor was a good solution since I don't want to buy a new laptop! ;)

Anyway, I don't see the cursor even with the option enabled, so I just wanted to confirm that this is due to the built-in VNC with the Mac OS not supporting it and not because I'm missing something.

Thanks! Great program, by the way!

Hi Lori, have you tried enabling the "Remote Pointer Updates" option in Remoter Config?

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support