Remoter Encryption

Report your issues here

Remoter Encryption

Postby NathObeaN » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 pm

I can't seem to find any information about Remoter supporting encyrption. Does it?

If not, is there any way to set up a method of encryption so that I can remote to my PC over the 3G network on my iPhone securely.

Thank you.
NathObeaN

Re: Remoter Encryption

Postby raf » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:25 pm

No, Remoter doesn't have any sort of encryption beyond the one used during the initial authentication phase. Remoter uses the open VNC standard RFB 3.8; which doesn't support encryption.
That being said, I'm working on version 1.9 which will include an optional in-app-purchase (only $0.99 initially!) that will allow you to connect via an SSH tunnel. This is very secure. But won't be out until February.
raf
Site Admin

Postby NathObeaN » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 pm

That's good to hear, I didn't really want to convert to one of the other apps I saw on the app store as I really do find the GUI extrmely easy to use on Remoter. SSH would be brilliant as I could tunnel it directly to my router/home PC.

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to the update :).
NathObeaN

Postby capevi » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:18 am

Hello,

Any updates on the new version /SSH tunneling?

Thank you
capevi

Postby raf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 am

Still waiting for Apple to approve the new version. This usually takes around a week (it's been a week already). It might take longer this time around, as the new version uses in-app purchases. The thing is, the current status of the app is : "Waiting for Review". So they haven't even started reviewing it yet.
From experience, it will take about 2 days from the time they start reviewing it.

More status as it becomes available...

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby brickneil » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Apple has released Encryption in-app option and I have installed it. I use freeSSHd to create a SSH server and Ultravnc as vnc, but I cannot understand witch is the "SSH Hostname" requested by SSH configuration.
brickneil

Postby raf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:21 pm

The SSH hostname is the computer that's running the SSH server. In your case, it would be the same computer that's running VNC.
If you're connecting from your LAN (WiFi), then you can use your internal IP address; if connecting from outside (internet), then this would be your external IP address.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby brickneil » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:30 pm

Well, now the problem of SSH Server is solved, but although Remoter VNC connect regularly on port 5900 with not encrypted connection, when I use SSH it says that VNC cannot forward on port 5900: what's the problem ?
I use option "VNC over SSH"
Attachments
UltraVNC settings.png
this the configuration of my UltraVnc
UltraVNC settings.png (70.18 KiB) Viewed 7945 times
brickneil

Postby raf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 pm

brickneil wrote:Well, now the problem of SSH Server is solved, but although Remoter VNC connect regularly on port 5900 with not encrypted connection, when I use SSH it says that VNC cannot forward on port 5900: what's the problem ?
I use option "VNC over SSH"

Could you please post a screenshot of the Remoter session? You can capture the screen by pressing the Power+Home buttons on your iOS device.

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby raf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm not familiar with freeSSHd, BTW. Does it support TCP tunnels? I'll investigate.

EDIT: It does support tunnelling. I'll continue investigating freeSSHd today.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Support