Convert Windows PC name to host name?

Report your issues here

Convert Windows PC name to host name?

Postby PackerBronco » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:19 am

I can connect just fine to my Windows 7-64 bit PC when I used the IP address. However when I attempt to connect using the computer's name on the network, I get the message: "Couldn't convert "XXX-XXX-XXXX" to host address" where XXX-XXX-XXXX is my computer's name under Windows 7. Is this something I fix with VPN or with remoter?
PackerBronco

Re: Convert Windows PC name to host name?

Postby raf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Should work. Windows broadcasts the computer name on the network correctly. Not sure what the problem is. You could try pinging the same computer from other computers in your LAN using the "computer name" to see if other machines can resolve this name correctly.
raf
Site Admin

Postby ignatz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 am

I can confirm that I am (also) not able to use my Windows PC name - only entering the PC's IP address works. Thanks.
ignatz

Postby raf » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:00 pm

For the next version, I'll add NetBIOS support, which I believe will solve this problem as it's what Windows uses to identify machines by hostname in the LAN.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Madbot » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am

It sounds like the DNS on home network or the ipad isn't setup right. Suggest to first grab a free ping app and try to ping the computer name from the iPad / iPhone.

If ping also cannot resolve the name then the issue is with DNS, not remoter. You can look at what Dns is configured for your iPad and router. :D
Madbot

Return to Support