Help with connecting through WAN

Report your issues here

Help with connecting through WAN

Postby jaspertang » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:09 pm

Hello Raf,

I am unable to connect to my macbook using my iPad and iPhone 4 while I am outside of my network.
Every time I try to connect it says "Disconnected Error Connecting to Server". I followed your guide using dyndns but it still wont connect. dyndns updater on my mac has the green light already beside the hostname. I got my mac address set up already with a static ip add on my macbook, port mapping with Apple Remote Desktop but still I am not able to connect. Hope you can help me with this.

Jasper
jaspertang

Re: Help with connecting through WAN

Postby raf » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:43 am

Hi Jasper,

Let's check to make sure your machine is visible from the internet. Please go to http://www.gotomyvnc.com/ and run the check.

The output should look like this:

Code: Select all
Checking you out at IP address "ww.xx.yy.zz"...

ww.xx.yy.zz is accepting connections on Display 0 (TCP port 5900).

ww.xx.yy.zz is not responding on Display 1.

ww.xx.yy.zz is not responding on Display 2.

If display 0 is not open, and you can connect while inside your home network or LAN, then the issue is the router not forwarding the port 5900 correctly.

Hope this helps,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby jaspertang » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:18 am

Thank you for the reply.

sadly display 0 is not responding. I am using an Airport Extreme. How do I correctly forward the port 5900? I followed your guide step by step regarding forwarding port 5900.
jaspertang

Postby raf » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:23 am

jaspertang wrote:Thank you for the reply.

sadly display 0 is not responding. I am using an Airport Extreme. How do I correctly forward the port 5900?

If the directions in the guide didn't help, there are good resources online. Like:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... me/VNC.htm

or http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-port-for ... e-capsule/

Make sure you forward port 5900. That's all you need to forward.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby jaspertang » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:04 am

hello raf,

I am very sure that I have correctly forwarded port 5900. Is there a possible way to check if I am having a double NAT? My ISP did not give me any modem or router they just gave me a RJ45 connection that is directly plug into my Airport Extreme.

Jasper
jaspertang

Postby raf » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:47 am

Double NAT won't affect you. Where are you trying to connect from? From somebody else house? Then you could be double-NATted. But if you're connecting via 3G, then there can't be a double NAT.
One possibility would be that your ISP is blocking port 5900 but I doubt it. You could as them. You can also set up your router to forward any arbitrary port into port 5900 in your LAN.
So for example, if your ISP was blocking ports 5000-10000. But ports 1000-4999 were open, you could set up your router to port-forward port 1900 to 5900. Then in remoter you would use
Hostname: YourStaticIPOrDynDnsAddress:-1900

Can you try "telnet localhost 5900" locally from the computer you're connecting to; just to make sure your computer is listening on the port. (Although if it wasn't you wouldn't be able to connect while in your LAN, and you already told me you can, right?

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Support