Custom special keyboard

Custom special keyboard

Postby zscholz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:35 pm

First off - LOVE the software!!

It would be really awesome to be able to define a custom "special" keyboard. For instance - I'm a Mac user, and I use the "apple"/ "command" key all the time - which happens to be on page 2 of the special keyboards. It woul be great to define a "user" special keyboard that has all of the special keys that I use all the time (arrows + tab + apple for me!). Keep up the good work!!!
zscholz

Re: Custom special keyboard

Postby raf » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:20 am

Thank you!,
Yes, a custom keyboard is under consideration.
Another idea, is to have some of the most used keys (configurable) be part of the VirtualTrackpad.

Thanks for the feedback!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Create » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:43 am

If you add the custom keys to the trackpad, please also allow for custom key combination. E.g. Command-w to close window is something I do very often as well a command-q to quit apps. You could also add these custom keys/combos to the bottom or top bars.

Thanks for the kick ass app.
Create

Postby raf » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am

Create wrote:If you add the custom keys to the trackpad, please also allow for custom key combination. E.g. Command-w to close window is something I do very often as well a command-q to quit apps. You could also add these custom keys/combos to the bottom or top bars.

Thanks for the kick ass app.

Good idea! I'll think about that some more. The hardest is designing a UI that would allow the user to easily define these combinations.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby jpb » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi,

I have just started with RemoterVNC and find the macro function a ball but would also need custom keypads. I was wondering if you could not combine the macro feature with the definition of the custom keypads. What about defining a key, its label, its position and the macro it would then "fire" when pressed.

I am actually using your application to control machine tools! These machines support the RFB protocol but have beside a standard ASCII keyboard a dedicaded control panel with specific keys. In fact behind the sceene these keys send ctrl-alt-key combination that can be used when connected with a VNC like remote desktop app.

Attached is an example of such a keypad built with the "Custom Keypad" app from IOS Pro Apps.

Custom_Keypad_Example_photo.PNG
Example keypad
Custom_Keypad_Example_photo.PNG (362.51 KiB) Viewed 9816 times

This keypad could be shown instead of the normal iPad keypad if a dedicated key is typed (something like the current keyboard key). Ideally would be to have a set of 2 to 3 keypads that are linked to 2 to 3 deticated keys next to the existing keyboard key.

What do you think?

Would something like this be doable?

Thanks for a great app.
jpb

Postby raf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:58 pm

It's definitely doable; and I've been wanting to do something just like this for a while now. The only thing stopping me right now is lack of time; so hang in there, hopefully I'll get around to adding something that would allow this soon!

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby CU2 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

..possibly a companion enhancement - or at least custom kb design considerations in this thread idea for enh #124 if ever adding any HTPC, etc remote control functionality.

..additional KB related glue :

macros keys forum post
enh #103 - custom keyboards from sp-keys toolbar
CU2

Postby macmedix » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:13 am

Yes, a custom keyboard would be most useful! Please accept my vote for this important feature!

While I am dreaming of utopia, I would love to have a custom keyboard for SSH, and another for telnet, a 3rd keyboard for ordinary VNC use.
It would be really awesome to have a key to Switch Apps (vnc).

I'm thinking that a custom keyboard could be just one button tall, if I define only a few buttons. So I could use it well with telnet & still see the screen too. I would start with the keys: esc, 4 arrows, return, tab.
THANKS
Dave
macmedix

Return to Feature Requests