Some keys on external keyboard

Some keys on external keyboard

Postby afx40 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Good program, thank you!

Can you tell, it's difficult to allow use in connected MAC OS X function keys and key commands (cmd+O, etc) on extern keyboard directly?
afx40

Re: Some keys on external keyboard

Postby raf » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Unfortunately direct access to the external keyboard input is not available to developers in a public API. So there's no way (for now) to use the function keys, and other special keys.

Let's hope Apple opens up access soon.

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby acb » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:30 pm

A clarification question.

Background:
My main intention for using Remoter is to do a few modest interactions with a linux machine at work.
Maybe check or launch a batch job while I'm away from my office.
For reasonably productivity, I need access to standard key sequences like
control-a go to beginning of line
control-e go to end of line
I just connected an external keyboard expecting those key sequences to attainable with reasonable effort.
While typing this post using Atomic Web browser, the control-a & e combinations worked as expected.
While using Remoter that does not seem to work, the control key seems to be ignored.

In your prior post, you seem to be saying that iOS API is hiding the external keyboad compound key sequence from Remoter. So remoter doesn't see control-a, it just sees 'a' or some other reduced thing.
Is my understanding of your prior post correct?

Follow on question. Why is a third party App like Atomic Web able to react correctly to the key sequence control-a?
acb

Postby raf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 pm

That's correct, apps don't get notified or have any direct way of determining any of the special key presses.
The reason "Atomic" responds correctly to such key sequences is because it doesn't. The OS does, this is all transparent to Atomic, or any other app. But this transparency is a problem for apps like Remoter, where we don't want the trasparency, the app actually needs to know what the user is doing, so it can send the correct command to the remote server.

Does that make sense?

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests