File browser & file Transfer window

File browser & file Transfer window

Postby macmedix » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:57 pm

It would be SO Helpful to have a special file browser window. SSH would support a file list (ls -l) then make it look nice as a tappable window. Purpose is to make it easier to browse files on server and then transfer to/ from.

Some times we need to grab a file from a server and transfer it to another server, or just view on iOS device. Could make use of 'open in' function so GoodReader or other app could operate on the retrieved file.

There are so many times when I just need to quickly see if a file even exists on a server, having a dedicated file browser would be amazingly handy! Helps to leverage the small screen. Sort of like FTP access.
macmedix

Re: File browser & file Transfer window

Postby raf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:01 am

I find it that dedicated apps for this sort of thing are a better solution than trying to get Remoter do everything.
Something like DropBox works really well.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby macmedix » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:19 am

Hi Raf, yes Dropbox works well for what it does, but not for grabbing a file from a computer unless you knew in advance that you would want that file later and you put that file into the dropbox for later retrieval. I'm often faced with the need to grab a file from a remote computer to use elsewhere. Sometimes that file is a word doc, but more often it is a preference file, or an installer. Either way, it would not be in a dropbox because that would require pre-planning.

If we are connected via SSH, then it ought to be possible to browse a list of files on the remote computer, and even transfer a file via SCP. It would be very useful. I'm not expecting this feature for vnc, just for ssh connections. perhaps a new connection type would be SSH file browser.

So what I'm asking for is a nice window interface to a couple of ssh commands, like ls, cd, and scp. Please consider it, or at least don't say no. Thanks!
macmedix

Postby raf » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:05 am

I'm not saying no outright :)
I understand what you mean now. I thought you meant for VNC or RDP connections. And in those cases, while connected via Remoter, you can place the file in the Dropbox folder, then in your iOS device, you simply go to the Dropbox app to retrieve the file. That's what I meant.

I'll think about your suggestion, though.

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests