Allow for ssh options. i.e.: ssh -A

Allow for ssh options. i.e.: ssh -A

Postby vid » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi Raf,
Love the app. A co-worker turned me on to it when he pointed out that remoter may be the best app. to VNC through an ssh tunnel.
I use it for ssh in my web development all the time too.

I'd like to see the ability to ssh with options.
I typically log in with "ssh -A serverName" and I'd like to be able to do that with Remoter.

Here's my use case:
My co-workers and I use Git for source control / revision management and Gitosis for user management on our central repositories. The authentication for Gitosis is handled by ssh keys; we each have a copy of our public key on the Gitosis server. Private keys are kept on our local machines and development is done on remote web servers. Rather than keep copies of our SSH private keys on each remote server we use the option 'ssh -A' to create a temporary copy of the private key that only exists during the active session. *From the Man page: "-A Enables forwarding the authentication agent connection." ref: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi? ... &sektion=1
I imported my private key into remoter but I wasn't able to pass it to the server and so I wasn't able to push or pull any of my changes to or from the repository.

Perhaps adding an 'option' field to the connection configuration would be a solution?

Thanks for considering this feature.

remoter version: 3.2.1
device remoter is installed on: iPad 2
iOS version: 5.0.1

Feature Specific to Me

what type of session: ssh
server specifics: Linux
vid

Re: Allow for ssh options. i.e.: ssh -A

Postby raf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:25 am

Hi vid,

I'll take a look into this. Remoter uses putty as the engine for SSH. As long as putty supports this, I should be able to add it.

I created a trac ticket for this.

thanks for your feedback and ideas!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby vid » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Ah good to know.

I've often wondered if Putty supported agent forwarding. I just looked it up and apparently it does if you're running pagent as well. That will please some of my coworkers and I hope it applies here too!
http://unixwiz.net/techtips/putty-openssh.html#fwd

Thanks.
vid

Postby raf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:46 pm

vid,

Too bad pagent is required to run as well. I'll how bad it would be to port it. But this task became significantly harder.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests