New UI Idea, move menues to the sides

New UI Idea, move menues to the sides

Postby lazybones » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Maybe the functions of the top menu bar could be put into side bars that are hidden like in firefox for android http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLmWRu6K_xE and reviewed by using a two finger slide gesture ?

I have been playing around with controlling on of my Win 7 systems over RDP at my iPhones Native resolution and the UI seems to be the greatest problem on the small screen.. Increasing the functions on the tap and hold context menu would help but I think moving the menu to the side would be even better when holding the phone in landscape mode as most OS have menu bars and task bars at the top and bottom the remote tool should try to avoid covering these. I even have this issue in SSH sessions when using a text editor like nano, it has useful info at the top and bottom of the screen that is covered by Remoter UI elements... moving the menus to the side would help to some degree.
lazybones

Re: New UI Idea, move menues to the sides

Postby raf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:50 am

I agree with you. Especially in landscape mode, the toolbars and the keyboard (!) use up most of the screen. I like the idea of hiding the toolbars and making them appear with swipe gestures. What about the fullscreen mode, is this not useful to you when in landscape mode?

Thanks for your ideas, and feedback, lazybones.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby lazybones » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 pm

raf wrote:What about the fullscreen mode, is this not useful to you when in landscape mode?

I have been using full screen mode, however I find triggering the keyboard and hidding it difficult some times. Some times the little box to toggle full-screen options gets covered by the keyboard. Having a two or three finger gesture for keyboard activation and hiding might fix that.
lazybones

Postby raf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:34 pm

The fullscreen button can be moved around (in case that helps). But I'll look into this. Maybe add these sliding menus to the fullscreen mode, as a replacement to the current button..

Thanks!,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby lazybones » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:23 pm

raf wrote:The fullscreen button can be moved around (in case that helps). But I'll look into this. Maybe add these sliding menus to the fullscreen mode, as a replacement to the current button..

Thanks!,
Raf.

That's part of the problem, if it is too low on the screen when you launch the keyboard, the keyboard covers it and you have to change orientations to dismiss the keyboard. Moving to gestures or adding some code that moves the button when the keyboard launches would fix this.
lazybones

Postby raf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

You can move the button manually as well, you simply drag it. I'll add a trac item to move it when the keyboard appears as well.

Thanks!,
Raf.

PS: http://trac.remoterlabs.com/index.fcgi/ticket/352
raf
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests