VMWare Console

VMWare Console

Postby lazybones » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:09 pm

There seem to be a few clients out there that can connect to VMWare consoles directly... Although may VMs can be controlled via other means access to the console is often needed to FORCE reboots for HUNG systems or to shutdown or start up systems.. (restarting hung systems by phone would save some of us a lot of time)

I think this would be very useful for users in corporate environments.
lazybones

Re: VMWare Console

Postby raf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm not sure what format VMWare uses for this. I was under the impression VMWare used RDP. If this is the case, you should be able to use Remoter in RDP mode.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby lazybones » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:40 pm

raf wrote:I'm not sure what format VMWare uses for this. I was under the impression VMWare used RDP. If this is the case, you should be able to use Remoter in RDP mode.

Raf.

Supposedly it uses RDP and then PC over IP in newer versions.. The problem is that it isn't regular RDP. There are a few 3rd party clients kicking around but I have had trouble picking up the details on how they connect.
lazybones

Postby raf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:41 pm

lazybones wrote:
raf wrote:I'm not sure what format VMWare uses for this. I was under the impression VMWare used RDP. If this is the case, you should be able to use Remoter in RDP mode.

Raf.

Supposedly it uses RDP and then PC over IP in newer versions.. The problem is that it isn't regular RDP. There are a few 3rd party clients kicking around but I have had trouble picking up the details on how they connect.

I heard from a client that they've had luck using Remoter to connect. But I haven't tried it myself.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby lazybones » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:45 pm

raf wrote:
lazybones wrote:

Raf.

I heard from a client that they've had luck using Remoter to connect. But I haven't tried it myself.

Raf.

The point isn't to connect to the VM... I can do that already with RDP... it is to gain access at a higher level to control the VM being offline completely or force a reboot even when the VMs OS is hung.
lazybones

Postby raf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:45 pm

I understand what you're saying. And VMWare apparently uses RDP for this, and a client was successful connecting to VMWare using RDP in Remoter (he was installing the OS using Remoter, so RDP was definitely not running via the OS in the VM).

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby lazybones » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:45 pm

raf wrote:I understand what you're saying. And VMWare apparently uses RDP for this, and a client was successful connecting to VMWare using RDP in Remoter (he was installing the OS using Remoter, so RDP was definitely not running via the OS in the VM).

Raf.

If you can get the details I would be very interested...
lazybones

Postby raf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm sorry, I take it back. I looked into it, and it was actually VirtualBox, not VMWare. Got my VMs mixed up.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby lazybones » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:01 pm

VNC, RDP and RAW video are the three possible display outputs from Vmware. However connecting and controlling a VMWare VM requires implementing the VMWare API

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic ... onSAP.html

Possibly more complex that you are interested in implementing. VMware does offer its own tools for iOS but that is like saying there are other FREE RDP and VNC clients... having them all in one and with better UI and features is what makes a difference.
lazybones

Return to Feature Requests