RDP screen resolution

RDP screen resolution

Postby Tired » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Any chance of having 1280x1024 as a choice for RDP resolution? This size (and higher) works great in VNC, but I have to use RDP when outside of my work LAN. The RDP addition works great, but the screen resolution change wreaks havoc on my windows when I get back to my desk.

Some of the competing RDP client apps support it, by the way. Not to put too much pressure on it or anything ;)

Thanks for considering it
Eric
Tired

Re: RDP screen resolution

Postby raf » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Tired wrote:Any chance of having 1280x1024 as a choice for RDP resolution? This size (and higher) works great in VNC, but I have to use RDP when outside of my work LAN. The RDP addition works great, but the screen resolution change wreaks havoc on my windows when I get back to my desk.

Some of the competing RDP client apps support it, by the way. Not to put too much pressure on it or anything ;)

Thanks for considering it
Eric

Absolutely!, Consider it done. Version 3.2 will include that resolution.

In the mean time, and only if you're feeling adventurous, you an actually edit the sessions.plist file and set RDP to another resolution manually.
You will need to use iTunes file sharing to access the file.

Raf.

PS: See here for progress http://trac.rafsoftware.com/index.fcgi/ticket/317
raf
Site Admin

Postby Tired » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:49 pm

Yikes! That's a fast reply.

I'll debate messing with the iTunes files, but am more likely to patiently await a version update.

As an aside, i've tried several VNC/RDP clients so far and have been most impressed with Remoter. Keep up the good work.

And thanks for keeping on top of the forums. But step back and get some rest now and then!

Eric
Tired

Postby raf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:10 am

Hi Eric,

I went to add 1280x1024. But this resolution is already in the list. I added 1024x1280 for the next release though.
The popup list that allows you to select the desired resolution is actually scrollable, and you do need to scroll it to reveal the 1280x1024 resolution.

Hope this helps!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Tired » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:50 am

Well now, that is embarrassing. You're right, and it works.

I'd like to change my request to something along the lines of more visible/obvious scroll bars in those pop-ups, or maybe a little triangle to show there's more choices. . .Scratch that, I'd simply like to request a bigger brain and better problem solving skills.

Thanks again
Eric
Tired

Postby raf » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:30 pm

I'll what I can do. I agree some visual feedback would be nice.
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby 3beezer » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:58 pm

I hope that this thread isn't too stale because I would like to express the same sentiment except that the resolution I need is 800x480. I would love to be embarrassed with an explanation that the resolution is already available.

Is it too difficult to offer a "custom" resolution which I would use to specify whatever size I want?

Can you convince me that I should just use VNC? I think that the remote display is sharper with RDP than it is with VNC, even with the JPEG quality turned up all the way. Also, I understand that RDP uses less bandwidth. I don't need any of the capabilities of RDP not related to interacting with the display (e.g., sound).

I just started using Remoter. I am impressed that the set of features is so rich. It's amazing to me that everything I need is not already present.
3beezer

Postby raf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 pm

There is a way, but this is unsupported until I implement it in the app. Stop reading here if you want to wander into the unsupported realm:

-Stop Remoter (even in the multitask bar)
-Connect Remoter to your computer
-Open iTunes, go into your device, Apps, scroll down to File Sharing
-Find Remoter, and the sessions.plist file, drag it to your desktop
-Edit the file with your favorite editor (plist editor recommended). Change the resolution to your desired arbitrary resolution
-Drag the modified file back into iTunes.

Hope this helps,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby lazybones » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:39 pm

I would suggest that the iPhone and iPad native resolutions be options as well, I have tested with the MS Desktop RDP client by editing a .rdp file in notepad and the iPhone 4/4S resolutions actually work very nice.

edit: I also tried this with the plist edit method and found it worked great... no scrolling by default and full screen apps just opened to fit the screen!
lazybones

Postby spookybathtub » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for the tip raf. I will try the plist method. But I agree — iPhone 4 resolution of 960x640 should be added to the defaults.
EDIT: I edited the plist using Xcode, and it didn't work. The only edits I made were changing "800" to "960", and "600" to "640". I saved the file, and sent it back to the phone using iTunes. When I relaunched Remoter, all my sessions were gone, and I had to start from scratch. Then I created just one new session, so the plist would be a vanilla as possible, re-edited it using Xcode, and the same thing happened. Any idea what the problem is?
spookybathtub

Next

Return to Feature Requests