Grouping of Sessions/UltraVNC File Transfer

Grouping of Sessions/UltraVNC File Transfer

Postby thinusdk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:46 am

Hi

Remoter VNC is a fantastic tool on iOS.

I administer a large amount of servers and have built up a significant number of sessions on the app. A facility for grouping sessions on the front screen would make this tool even better!

Supporting UltraVNC's file transfer facility would be great (even though I might be grasping here...).

Kind Regards
Thinus
thinusdk

Re: Grouping of Sessions/UltraVNC File Transfer

Postby raf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:51 am

thinusdk wrote:Hi

Remoter VNC is a fantastic tool on iOS.

I administer a large amount of servers and have built up a significant number of sessions on the app. A facility for grouping sessions on the front screen would make this tool even better!

Supporting UltraVNC's file transfer facility would be great (even though I might be grasping here...).

Kind Regards
Thinus

Hi Thinus,

I'm going to be adding a manual sorting facility in 3.2. Would this satisfy your issue, or do you envision this resolved differently?

For file transfer, I find that dedicated tools are the best solution (things like dropbox).

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby thinusdk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:52 am

Dear Raf

Grouping

For me, manual sorting will not address the issue of a large number of swipes to get to a specific session. Grouping will allow me to put all the servers for a specific department/business unit together and thereby shorten the path to a desired session.

The natural evolution of your session interface would be to make to your current session band (at the top) the selector of a group, then upon touching a specific grouping a second band will open underneath it with the sessions in that group.

On the other hand, grouping like with apps on SpringBoard would allow me to see more sessions (seems like 5 x 4) in a single glance, since in a horizontal orientation of my iPad I only have three sessions visible on Remoter VNC.

You can also make the size of your session shots smaller (or give the user a selection of sizes in the app options) to make more sessions visible on the band at any given time.

UltraVNC File Transfer

I see this requirement being more relevant to users working in the corporate environments.

In our server environments all ports on the servers are blocked unless the business require them to be open. That means, in most cases, no SMB/FTP/HTTP/Dropbox/etc. For remote administration VNC (ie UltraVNC) is installed. Instead of walking over to servers which is a lengthy process of security cards swipes en searches, we use the built-in file transfer capabilities of UltraVNC since it does not require any more ports to be opened.

I would understand if you thought the portion of your client base that would require this feature is too small.

Thanks for the reply.

Kind Regards
Thinus
thinusdk

Postby raf » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:08 am

Thanks for your suggestions!

1)Grouping, I'll work on it for the next version.

2)List display updates are in the pipeline as well

3)UltraVNC file transfers: not in the pipeline for now, sorry

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby thinusdk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the updates!
thinusdk

Return to Feature Requests