Wide Area Bonjour / Dynamic Global Hostnames

Wide Area Bonjour / Dynamic Global Hostnames

Postby izenmike » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Remoter supports local bonjour hostnames. I'd like to see it support Wide Area Bonjour ( aka Dynamic Global) hostnames. Currently I have to designate the Port number (which defaults to 5900), however, in a WAB set up, other devices may have a different "external" VNC port as denoted by their Dynamic Global Hostname. The following command will tell you the global host name port:

dns-sd -L hostname _rfb._tcp dynamic.net

where hostname is the name of the system (i.e. JoesMac)
and dynamic.net is the name of Domain for the Dynamic Global Hostnames (i.e. mydomain.net)

For example:

the terminal command: dns-sd -L joesmac _rfb._tcp mydomain.net

yields:
Lookup joesmac._rfb._tcp.mydomain.net
15:54:46.559 joesmac._rfb._tcp.mydomain.net. can be reached at joesmac.mydomain.net.:5901 (interface 0)

This port number (5901) should be use to Remoter to connect the vnc://joesmac.mydomain.net
izenmike

Re: Wide Area Bonjour / Dynamic Global Hostnames

Postby raf » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:20 pm

Remoter uses the bonjour API provided by the iOS SDK. I can investigate to see if/how wide-area bonjour is supported. I'll look into it.

BTW, Remoter does use the port number provided by bonjour (so if you're getting 5900, that's what bonjour is giving Remoter. Remoter is not hardcoded to just use 5900.

I'll open a ticket for this, so I don't forget to look into it.

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby Z][ANSWER » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:24 am

Hi raf!
It would be cool if you implement wan bonjour. We can use it to connect to our Macs without configuration of gateways, of course if it Apple gateways.
Z][ANSWER

Postby raf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:33 pm

Z][ANSWER wrote:Hi raf!
It would be cool if you implement wan bonjour. We can use it to connect to our Macs without configuration of gateways, of course if it Apple gateways.

I'm working on something I call "RemoterFusion". For now it's Mac only, but it will allow you to connect to your computer from anywhere without you having to mess with dyndns or setting your router manually. It will be part of 'Remoter Complete', and will be available when Remoter 2.6 comes out (might call it Remoter 3.0).

Thanks!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests