SSH that lets me type password

SSH that lets me type password

Postby TheSSHGuy » Sat May 28, 2011 11:45 pm

Some SSH servers have multiple password prompts (I don't like it, but I have to use it). Some do challenge response with number codes both ways. I would like the option to just SSH in to a host and type my own username, passcode, password, etc.

TheSSHGuy
TheSSHGuy

Re: SSH that lets me type password

Postby raf » Sun May 29, 2011 1:46 am

TheSSHGuy wrote:Some SSH servers have multiple password prompts (I don't like it, but I have to use it). Some do challenge response with number codes both ways. I would like the option to just SSH in to a host and type my own username, passcode, password, etc.

TheSSHGuy

Hi, I'm not familiar with servers that do this; can you point me towards some of them so I can take a look and see what I can do?
(I guess the "Request Username"/"Request Password" is not sufficient, right?)

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby TheSSHGuy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:54 pm

chinook.emsl.pnl.gov does this:

ssh deadbabe@chinook.emsl.pnl.gov
Linux for High Performance Computing 4.5 (Swift)

Enter PASSCODE:
Password:

So really I just need the ssh to connect and then let me type in things like PASSCODE and then the password. The PASSCODE is a SecurID one type password.
TheSSHGuy

Postby raf » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:57 pm

TheSSHGuy wrote:chinook.emsl.pnl.gov does this:

ssh deadbabe@chinook.emsl.pnl.gov
Linux for High Performance Computing 4.5 (Swift)

Enter PASSCODE:
Password:

So really I just need the ssh to connect and then let me type in things like PASSCODE and then the password. The PASSCODE is a SecurID one type password.

Very interesting; I see if I can recreate and what I can do to help in this scenario..

Thanks for the feedback,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby CU2 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm

I can see use in this also at times where operation similar to telnet -- user inputs everything based on server prompts after connection.
CU2

Postby drbrowen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:25 pm

I would like to add that for security reasons, I do not want my passwords stored. Therefore, having a raw keyboard-interactive password would be preferable. Or at least allow a way to prompt at startup for the password. In order to comply with local rules, I need to create a profile, ssh, then edit the profile to remove the password each time. This is a real pain.
drbrowen

Postby raf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:31 pm

drbrowen wrote:I would like to add that for security reasons, I do not want my passwords stored. Therefore, having a raw keyboard-interactive password would be preferable. Or at least allow a way to prompt at startup for the password. In order to comply with local rules, I need to create a profile, ssh, then edit the profile to remove the password each time. This is a real pain.

Hi drbrowen,

In the session editor, tap on "Advanced", then scroll down, you will see an option called "Request XXX Password" (XXX= VNC, SSH, etc depending on the session type). If you set this to ON, you will be prompted for the password every time you connect.

Hopefully this is what you need,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests