Kiosk mode - worth hundreds of dollars to me today...

Kiosk mode - worth hundreds of dollars to me today...

Postby seanstevens » Sun May 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi There -

So after evaluating many iPad VNC clients, I found yours to be the fastest/smoothest screen updating.
Congtrats :)

Anyways - I'm working on a kiosk based mac app where we were using touchscreen monitors but will be switching to the iPad.

That's where I think you can help.

What we want:

"Kiosk Mode"
Locked at full screen (1024X768)
Locked at "normal" rotation (wide)
Locked to one server (settable in iPad system preferences)
Just single button, direct mapped mouse input - no scrolling, no pinch to zoom... where I tap on the screen is where the click registers (we're doing drag and drop)

I think that's pretty much it.

Of course that's based on what I need, but I think you would have quite a hit on your hands
Locked so the ONLY way to exit is the home button.

We would buy this as an in-app purchase, otherwise would probably be willing to pay some hundreds of $$ for a custom solution.

I understand that that's not a ton of money but since it's almost entirely disabling functionality in your app it seems to me like it shouldn't be too bad. Plus as I said I think it would be a BIG hit for you.

If I'm missing something and there is some way to do this now, let me know :)

Otherwise please get in touch with me ASAP... we really want to make this happen.

e-mail me at my address listed here or reply and I should be notified.

Thanks!
seanstevens

Re: Kiosk mode - worth hundreds of dollars to me today...

Postby raf » Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Sean,
I'm not sure this is a good fit for an in-app purchase option. In-app purcahses for Remoter add features, not the oposite, so it would conflict with the "Complete" option. Even if it didn't conflict, it would cause the price of the Complete option to go up, and not benefit the grand majority of users; so would cause loss of sales.
It wouldn't be as simple to implement either, specially the part about having the settings under the device's Settings, since this is not part of Remoter ATM. All all the many small details that are sure to come up with the new connection paradigm. Like the "Locked so the ONLY way to exit is the home button": This just means - no disconnect button, right? What would Remoter do if the connection is lost? These cases are just not part of Remoter right now, but would need to be handled for this.

I don't know. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I just need to think more about it.

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby seanstevens » Mon May 23, 2011 11:24 am

Thanks Raf -

I definitely see your points, though if it disconnected the only thing it would have to do is reconnect to the same address or throw an error.

Anyways - please think about it, we need the functionality soon, and probably I'll start to shop the request around.

Nobody else has this feature. it would be a big hit, maybe as Remoter Kiosk.
seanstevens

Postby raf » Mon May 23, 2011 11:46 am

seanstevens wrote:Thanks Raf -

I definitely see your points, though if it disconnected the only thing it would have to do is reconnect to the same address or throw an error.

Anyways - please think about it, we need the functionality soon, and probably I'll start to shop the request around.

Nobody else has this feature. it would be a big hit, maybe as Remoter Kiosk.

Yes, maybe a separate App would make more sense. I will think more about it, and you're right, there might be a market for this feature. I just don't know how big a market.
Ping me via email again. I won't be able to work on this feature in the short-term, though, as I'm busy with the release of Remoter 2.4, and the imminent 2.4.1 with any bugfixes. I also started work on 2.6 (which will include RDP integration as a new in-app purchase -- you heard it here first, folks!). So if I end up implementing this feature, it won't be until next month at the soonest. If this is not fast enough, it might be wise for you, as you said, to shop your request around.

Thanks,
Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests