DEL key

DEL key

Postby AlanR » Fri May 13, 2011 6:06 pm

Perhaps I've overlooked it, but I can't find a DEL key anywhere. Would really appreciate one, as the software I use needs it.

Regards, Alan
AlanR

Re: DEL key

Postby raf » Fri May 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Alan,

Because of space constraints, the Delete (BkSpace) key is only displayed when Remoter VNC is run on an iPad. I will make sure to add it to the next release (which I'm planning on finishing during this weekend).

Thanks for the feedback!,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby AlanR » Sun May 15, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Raf,

Thanks for the reply. However, the DEL key is different to the backspace key. They are different ASCII codes, and have different functionality. If the cursor is in the middle of a string of characters, the backspace key deletes the character to the left of the cursor, whereas the DEL key deletes the char to the right of the cursor.

That said, i don't need it for deleting a char in a string - i can move the cursor to the right to achieve that. But some applications require you to press the DEL key to delete a highlighted object - no other key will do!

Looking forward to you adding the DEL key to both the iPad and iPhone apps. You can add it to the special keys popup, next to ESC, TAB, PGUP, PGDN, CTRL, ALT, etc. That would work for me.

Regards, Alan
AlanR

Postby raf » Sun May 15, 2011 11:48 pm

AlanR wrote:Hi Raf,

Thanks for the reply. However, the DEL key is different to the backspace key. They are different ASCII codes, and have different functionality. If the cursor is in the middle of a string of characters, the backspace key deletes the character to the left of the cursor, whereas the DEL key deletes the char to the right of the cursor.

That said, i don't need it for deleting a char in a string - i can move the cursor to the right to achieve that. But some applications require you to press the DEL key to delete a highlighted object - no other key will do!

Looking forward to you adding the DEL key to both the iPad and iPhone apps. You can add it to the special keys popup, next to ESC, TAB, PGUP, PGDN, CTRL, ALT, etc. That would work for me.

Regards, Alan

You're right. And the nomenclature I'm using in Remoter is not consistent with that. But that being said, the "Delete" key IS in Remoter. But like I said, only available in the iPad ATM (I already added to the iPhone for the next version). But it is labeled "BkSpace"; I will correct that.
The confusion stems from the fact that MacBooks use the term "delete" for what really is the "back space" in Windows (delete in fullsize Mac keyboards). To perform "forward-delete" on the MacBook, fn+delete needs to be used. I'll update Remoter's button label to "Delete".

Thanks,

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby AlanR » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi Raf,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried the BkSpace key on my iPad, and it appears to work like a backspace key, not a DEL key, ie. It deletes the character to the left of the cursor. I expect the DEL key to delete the char to the right -do you agree? I can't get it to delete highlighted objects that require the DEL key to be pressed either. Would you mind checking it again?

Thanks, Alan
AlanR

Postby raf » Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 pm

AlanR wrote:Hi Raf,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried the BkSpace key on my iPad, and it appears to work like a backspace key, not a DEL key, ie. It deletes the character to the left of the cursor. I expect the DEL key to delete the char to the right -do you agree? I can't get it to delete highlighted objects that require the DEL key to be pressed either. Would you mind checking it again?

Thanks, Alan

Thanks Alan! you're right, so I quickly fixed this. Now there's both "Del" and "BackSp" keys:
Screen shot 2011-05-18 at 8.29.30 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-05-18 at 8.29.30 PM.png (106.45 KiB) Viewed 12729 times

In this example I typed "hello", then moved to the first "l" with the arrow key, then I pressed "Del".

Raf.
raf
Site Admin

Postby AlanR » Thu May 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks RAF. I look forward to the updates becoming available.

Alan
AlanR

Postby Madbot » Sat May 21, 2011 5:17 am

This is bloody awesome. Thanks!
Madbot

Postby AlanR » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:59 am

Hi Raf,

Have just tried the new version. The DEL key works a treat. Thanks for the other improvements too. keep up the excellent work.

Regards,

Alan
AlanR

Return to Feature Requests